twenty-three

The peace didn't last forever. And while I hated to lose the bubble of happiness that Eric and I had managed to find within these confusing times, all good things must come to an end.

And the end? It was now.

In an ideal world, Eric and I would've been able to break the news of my engagement to my brother and mother, knowing they would be happy for me. Then, we would be planning for our wedding and eventually living out our happily ever afters.

Unfortunately, reality was much less glamorous than fairytales and after a quiet morning where Eric had cooked breakfast for me and given me a kiss that felt as if it could right every wrong there was in this world, we got dressed and headed out to face my mother who had demanded a meeting.

Eric clutched my hand tightly in his as we walked, his thumb brushing over his mother's ring on my finger as if he was trying to remind himself that I said yes so that he never forgets.

Zeke and Uriah met us at the end of the hallway that leads out to the front of the compound where Johanna had agreed to hold the meeting.

Eric's hand squeezes mine reassuringly as I let out a heavy sigh.

"Do you think this is a trap?" I ask no one in particular.

"I think they're going to try everything they can to get the upper hand so I wouldn't put it past them," Zeke replies.

I look over to Uriah, who has been silent ever since we joined them only to see him staring down pointedly at Eric and I's interlaced fingers and I have no doubt he'd already spotted the ring on my finger.

A small smile tugs at the corner of his lips and he raises his eyes to meet mine.

"Are congratulations in order?" He asks.

I can't help the smile that takes over my face as usual run brush my thumb over the cool metal and nod in reply.

"Damn, it took you guys long enough," Uriah returns a smile just as bright before pulling me into his arms for a tight hug.

He moves to hug Eric next but stops short at the look on his face. Instead, he gave Eric a pat on the back that looked painfully awkward and I struggled to hold in my laughter.

Learning from his brother's mistake, Zeke pulls me into a long hug that has Eric clearing his throat.

"Are you trying to test my limits?" Eric says warningly, though it lacks its usual bite.

Zeke simply laughs as he takes a step back from me, shoving Eric in the shoulder.

"Come on, man. Quit lying, you like us."

Eric's features remain as stoic as ever. Though I can tell he has taken a liking to my friends, no amount of torture would get him to admit that to them.

I lean into him, smiling despite the situation. "You so do," I whisper when Zeke and Uriah get distracted bickering with each other.

He lets out a non-committal grunt, but the corner of his lip quirks up into a smile. "Only because they love you almost as much as I do."

My heart warms at his statement. Luck seemed to be on my side, filling my life with such amazing people.

I clutched Eric's hand tightly in mine, letting his touch anchor me to what really matters; this. Us.

"Let's get this over with," I say with a decisive nod.

Zeke and Uriah lead us out towards the gate and to a small alcove where we stayed hidden but I can see that Johanna and Evelyn have already gathered on either side with a guard flanking each one.