Chapter 11

"Thank you Dr Turner, I'll be back to see you on my evening rounds." The familiar dressed man made Patrick feel slightly uncomfortable; after all, being told what to do by someone of the same profession echoed his owned words to his own patients.

Patrick forced the corners of his lips to rise and briefly nodded to the doctor. The smile soon faded and Patrick sank back, helplessly, in his bed. He glanced at Shelagh who sat in the chair beside him.

"Darling please go home to the children, there's nothing more you can do here" Patrick almost whispered, clearly tired by the day's events. He wished so hard Shelagh would be able to stay with him but, unselfishly, he knew Tim and Angela needed their mother as much as him.

Although he tried hard to hide this feeling, Shelagh knew he dreaded the thought of being alone in a ward. She was afraid he might remember his time in Northfield hospital. Wincing at the thought, she slipped her hand into his and gripped it tightly.

"Patrick, I'd bring Tim and Angela here if I could and we'd sleep out in the corridor if they let us. I promise I will be back as soon as they open those doors tomorrow morning." She leaned into Patrick, cupping her spare hand around his cheek, and delicately kissed him.

"I love you Patrick and I will always love you no matter what."

After what seemed like an age, they broke away and Shelagh began to gather her coat and handbag together, getting ready to leave.

"Shelagh I don't know what I'd do without you. You're my world and I wouldn't have anything any other way with anyone." Patrick breathed these soothing words to comfort his over worked mind and to try to reassure Shelagh. But she knew Patrick well enough to know when he was hiding his feelings from the rest of the world. Walking up to the entrance to their flat, her mind flashed with thoughts of Patrick. She was worried sick about him being alone in the London. She sighed, feeling helpless, all she could do was to wait until tomorrow and reassure the children their dad was going to be alright. She hoped.