Chapter seven

Chapter seven
A

"Can't sleep?" I turn my head to the right to see Bellamy sitting up from his previous laying position

"Nope." I state as he stares at me. "Keep wondering how many people that fog might have killed."

"You shouldn't worry about that." He tells me as I raise an eyebrow.

"And why's that?" I ask as he sighs.

"I'll worry about that." He says as I scoff.

"Why have you immediately taken the roll of leader?" I ask him as he looks to ground briefly before looking back at me.

"I'll do everything I can to protect my sister." He explains as I nod.

"And you?" I wonder as his face goes hard.

"If me staying alive protects her then yes." He says as I begin to play with the ends of my brown hair, the cave falling silent apart from Charlotte's heavy breathing from being asleep.

"What did you do?" Bellamy suddenly asks.

"Something I shouldn't have done, that's all you need to know." I tell him as I stand up, wanting to stretch my legs. "And when you tell me what you did, maybe I'll consider telling you what I did."

"That's never going to happen unless you find out yours-" Bellamy is cut off by a screaming Charlotte as both myself and Bellamy rush to her side.

"Charlotte, wake up." I say as I shake her a little, only to have her scream more.

"Charlotte." Bellamy says just as she opens her eyes and stares at us both.

"I'm sorry." She says in a sad voice as I crouch down beside her.

"Does it happen often?" Bellamy asks referring to her nightmares.

"What are you scared of?" I ask as she sighs and looks away from us, obviously not wanting to speak about it.

"It doesn't matter," Bellamy tells her as he shakes his head a little. "The only thing that matters is what you do about it."

"But I'm asleep." She points out.

"Fears are fears, slay your demons when your awake, they won't be there to get you when you sleep." Bellamy explains as I look to him, surprised such wisdom was coming out of his mouth.

"Yeah but, how?"

"You can't afford to be weak, down here? Weakness is death, fear is death." He tells her as I listen to his words. He's right but he forgot one thing that is also death.

"Let me see that knife that I gave you." He says as Charlotte hands him the small knife. "Now, when you feel afraid you hold tight to that knife and you say... 'screw you demons, I'm not afraid'." He says as he hands her back the knife.