Eight

The trek home was harsh, to say the least. Cody spent most of his time in the seat of one of the buggies because he couldn't keep up. His legs were a little long, and yeah, he was a little old for it, but I couldn't risk something happening to him. 

As we came up to the compound, my heart began to beat faster. I was happy to be home, anxious to see Olan, worried about what Joaquin would say about Cody. I was ready to see Amelia again and give her some of the things I'd grabbed specifically for her. I helped Cody out of the seat and he stood close to me, eventually taking my hand.

One of the men on lookout called to Joaquin who promptly opened the gate to let us in, until he saw Cody standing beside me, holding my hand.

"What the fuck is this shit?" Joaquin glares at the child.

"This is Cody. He was alone in the store we scavenged."

"And you thought it's be a good idea to bring him back here because?"

I looked down to Cody who had tears in his eyes. "Jasper," I called without looking at him.

"Yeah?" He answered.

"Can you take Cody to see the garden while I talk to Joaquin?"

"Now just who the fuck do you think you are giving orders to my men?" Joaquin growled.

I gave him a pleading look and eventually, he broke. "Take him, Jasper." He commanded.

Without hesitation, Jasper took Cody and walked off in the direction of the gardens.

"Now, tell me exactly how the holy Hell I send you out for Tylenol and Band-Aids and you come back with a fucking kid." He crossed his arms.

I lowered my voice before speaking. "He would have died out there, Joaquin."

"No skin off my back."

"How can you be so cold?" I accused.

"Cold? I'm not cold. I'm just thinking about the people we already have living here. I'm not worried about bringing any more people in because I'm worried about keeping the people I already have to look after fed. This kid you're bringing in causes a lot of issues. He's got no parents to contribute to his part of staying here and he's too young to do anything to help out."

"I'll work for his part. I couldn't leave him there. He needs someone."

Joaquin sighed. "You've got such a kind heart, Matthews." He reached up and grabbed a lock of my hair, pulling on it lightly before snatching his hand back as if he'd just realized what he had been doing. "You work for his part. Share your rations with him. He can stay."

I gave him a smile and a nod. "Thank you."

"Don't ever pull another fucking stunt like this again though."

"No promises." I grinned as I walked past him to the gardens. Cody and Jasper were sitting on a bench under one of the apple trees. Jasper's eyes caught mine as if asking how it went.

"He's going to let him stay." I smiled and Jasper gave a nod before standing to walk away.

"You ready to come see your new home?" I asked holding my hand out for Cody, who happily nodded and took it.

I led him inside to the children's wing. "This is where you'll stay." I bent down and spoke softly.

"I don't like it." His eyes darted around the room to the frenzy of the children running and screaming.

"Why not? You've got a bunch of kids to play with."

"I can't stay with you?" He looked to me with big puppy dog eyes.