2.3

At about 8:00 pm, Nico was curled on the couch, texting Will, when Bianca and Maria came home. He'd enjoyed a wonderfully awkward week that consisted mainly of him and Will dancing around the subject of their mutual affection for each other while simultaneously being "disgustingly lovey-dovey," as Zoe described it after hanging out with them for fucking one day.

Bianca sailed into the living room, teeth white against her new tan and eye bright with happiness. "Hi Nico, how are you? Is Dad back?"

"I'm pretty good actually, and not yet," he replied, setting down his phone. "Although, I probably wouldn't notice if he came back early."

"Touché," Bianca replied. "That's all right, though. He...well, he can go...you know."

Maria, eyes cloudy and unfocused from her new medication, had dazedly followed Bianca in and Nico stood up to kiss her cheek in greeting. She offered him a small smile in return and sat down in an armchair.

"So," Bianca began. "I have something I need to tell you."

Nico winced. Nothing ever good began with those words. "Oh, God, what happened?"

Bianca laughed. "Don't be like that, it's something good. I'm engaged!" Bianca lifted her hand from where she'd had it partially hidden behind her body and a big-ass diamond ring glinted at Nico from across the room.

"What?!" Nico exclaimed, just a little bit too indignantly.

"Brian proposed and I said yes!"

That shit was definitely not what Nico was expecting. "I...what?"

Maria stood up and pulled Bianca into a hug. "That's wonderful; I'm so happy for you!"

Nico was doubly taken aback. Of all things to pull her out of a fog...at least Maria was happy, even if Nico didn't particularly like Brian. He had to admit, if Bianca and his mom were happy, he was happy.

"Yeah, that's great." Nico found himself legitimately meaning what he said.

Bianca opened and closed her mouth a few times and then bounded across the room and wrapped Nico up in a hug. "Aww, Neeks!" She pulled away and held Nico's shoulders. "Honestly, I didn't think you'd react so well."

"Wow, thanks." Nico laughed, ducking away from her arms. "What to you think Dad'll say?"

"I'm sure he'll be happy," Maria said. "He loves you and wants what's best for you."

"He likes Brian and Brian's wealthy family, so I don't think there's going to be any problem," Bianca added.

"I don't even think he gives that much of a shit," Nico muttered.

"Have you two talked about a date yet?" Maria met them in the center of the room and took Bianca's hand in her own to examine the ring more closely, smiling at her daughter as she did so.

"Not really. We know we want to wait a year, at least, so we have time to finish school and plan properly," Bianca replied, grinning down at their hands

Maria pulled Bianca into another hug, that rare smile still plastered on her face. Nico wished every day was like this; maybe the wedding planning would keep Maria in a good mood. He really, really, really fucking hoped so.

Maria dropped Bianca's hand and moved towards the door. "This new medicine is making me kind of tired, so I'm going to go to bed. I love you both."

"Love you, too," they chorused together, and watched her leave in silence.

"I really am happy for you," Nico said, reclaiming his seat on the couch and tucking his legs underneath him.

"I know. I'm glad," Bianca replied.