Chapter 26: Bill's story (Flashback)

The light gets smaller in the sky, driving down the road. The smell of coffee in the air. Bill sits in the driver's side, with a kid in the passenger's side.

"Are we there yet?" Anthony opens his eyes, looking ahead

Bill responds,"don't worry kido, just a few more minutes".

"Is dad really leaving us?" The kid asks, his voice shakey.

Bill looks at little Anthony, saying,"in life, some people....some people turns out to be different".

"Was you like that, grandpa?"

Bill looks ahead at the long country road, sirens wailing past them,"I was worse".

Bill pulls the red station wagon into the drive, putting the car in park, hearing sirens off in the distance.

Bill gets out of the car, as the sun slowly sets off in the distance. Anthony following behind the old man.

"What is that?" Anthony asks, pointing his small fingers at a red spot on the door handle.

Bill stares at it,"stay here" he tells the kid.

The war veteran walks closer to it, putting a finger on it,"feels like...."

"Paint?" Anthony asks.

"Blood" Bill responds,"it's wet, means it's recent".

"Is mom and dad okay?" Anthony looks at the house, scared

Bill turns the door knob, entering through the front door,"hello? Mark? Susan?"

Anthony stands outside, watching birds fly away from the city far above him. He hears a bottle drop from behind the house.

Bill looks around the bedroom, blood on the sheets as he begins to worry. He takes out his handgun, fearing the worst.

"Anthony? Come quick" Bill calls out, as suddenly he hears a scream come from the back of the house,"ANTHONY".

Bill rushes out the back door, staring at the ugly scene in front of him,"NOO" he screams, tears falling from his eyes.

Mark, who appears to be infected with something, is on top of his own son. Chewing on his neck like some rapid dog, hungry. Hungry for the taste of human flesh.

Bill watches this scene, aiming the gun at his own son,"get away from him....NOW" angry.

Infected Mark stares at Bill, a piece of Anthony's flesh between his teeth, bite marks appear on his right arm, showing bone.

"I'm sorry son" Bill pulls the trigger as a tear runs down his cheek.

Mark drops down instantly, the bullet to the head putting him to rest. Hitting the ground, motionless.

Bill looks down at Anthony, the kid's throat torn apart. Having never seen anything like this in his life. A deep sadness inside him.

He takes a step towards Anthony, just as something pops up from behind the corner of the house. It runs towards him.

Bill realizes it's Susan, as she tackles him to the ground, trying to bite his skin off. He drops the gun.

He tries pushing her away, feeling her teeth sinking into his wrist as the war veteran screams in agony.

He finally throws her off of him, racing towards his gun. He watches Susan get back to her feet, racing towards him as if it was the last thing she did.

"Sorry Susan" Bill whispers, pulling the trigger again, watching her body drop right in front of him.

The sirens continue in the background, Bill looking around at a once happy family. Now all motionless, lifeless corpses. Slowly rotting till the ends of time.

Bill sits on the ground, dropping the gun as tears fall,"what did I do?" Asking himself this.

He sits there for a few more seconds, then stares at the bite on his wrist, bleeding. He tears off a piece of his clothing, wrapping up his wound.

Bill looks at the family he cared about, his family, just as he watches in horror as little Anthony slowly rises to his feet, Bill in complete shock.

"Please don't make me do this" Bill pleads, aiming the gun at the kid's head.

Anthony looks at Bill, all bloody and hungry, just as he sprints towards the old man.

The trigger gets pulled, Bill watching as the kid drops down, deader than dead. Three dead family members, laying in the backyard.

Bill turns his head away, walking away from the disturbing scene, shedding more tears. Just realizing it's kill, or be killed. The sirens slowly fading away as the virus continues to spread, death in the air.