Chapter 16 : Bungle in the jungle

AMANDA'S Pov

"Don't make any noise", he pursed my lips with his hand.

"Am I not allowed to breathe?" I rhetorically questioned frowning.

He pointed towards the direction the voice echoed from "Then die alone because I clearly have an empire to handle", he turned towards the voice's direction again.

"Well basically, James can look after your empire very nicely", I taunted and looked away. The voice came closer and closer consequently.

Small droplets started to form on my forehead out of anxiousness. "Okay. This is scaring me", I whispered in Mr. Reynold's ears.

"Shush", he interrupted, and now we could clearly see a predominantly dark, richly brown-colored, moderately sized sub-specie with dark claws. Mr. Reynold's twirled his eyeballs from left to right giving me a signal to stay calm and hold my breath if the creature comes any closer.

I was laying on the ground sticking my back on the huge tree, while Mr. Reynold's back rested on mine, our knees were slightly flexed. He gave me an inward position so as to either protect me or avoid my clumsy nature. My heart kept plummeting after the creature's every consequent step.

I caught Mr. Reynold's hand as tightly as I could. Mr. Reynold gave me a sarcastic look trying to control all his anger but stayed as calm as he could. I hid in his chest as I couldn't bear the animal's face or the thought of him eating us alive. Mr. Reynolds kept his hand on my head to comfort me. He even softly patted.

The thought that Mr. Reynolds was consoling me was scarier than the huge animal. He has always been a complete gentleman when it came to protecting me, but then he has also been a complete jerk, so I never completely got to know what kind of a person he actually was, but I was learning after noticing his little gestures.

Mr. Reynolds later moved his hands from my head freeing me. I lifted my head slightly up, our nose almost touching. I could feel him breathe. "Did it go?" I whispered cautiously.

"Stay in that position. Although he is not clearly visible to my eyes, it's better to stay sure, because, even a little wrong move can cost us our lives", he looked at me, in my eyes, while my baby hair kept traveling on his face subject to the cold breeze.

"Uhmm-mm", I nodded without causing any further movement in my body. My face was yet on his chest, I kept it that way as I was aware of my clumsy nature plus I didn't want to overhear negative things about me from Mr. Reynolds's mouth again and again. We stayed in that position silently for almost 15 to 20 minutes.

"I guess he left", Mr. Reynolds separated me from himself.

"Yes, he left us alive!" I grinned

"Maybe you should practice on your jokes", Mr. Reynolds dusted himself from top to bottom.

"Or maybe you should remove your coat because the only people you can have a meeting herewith will be wild animals", I tried mimicking him "speaking of which, you have any idea which type of an animal it was?"

Mr. Reynolds took off his coat and threw it on the ground "It was a Eurasian bear", he even removed his socks and wore his shoes all over again.

"Bear what?" I interrogated.

"The Eurasian brown bear is from the family of bears Ursidae and is one of the subspecies of the brown bear, Ursus arctos", he answered.

"Woah! You're definitely blessed with a lot of general knowledge", I raised my brows "I must say you must've never skipped any serial from national geographic"