But I Fell For You Again

It's the reaping. My brother is still asleep and nothing is alright. About one month ago, I was outside in the pouring rain, crying. Maria noticed it and slapped me in the face.

It's 7 am. I take off my pyjama and I wear something comfy which is not my reaping clothes. I make a ponytail and I walk outside. It's a sunny day. We don't have trainings even if it's Monday today.

There's no one outside. Only peacekeepers creepily starring at me. I do as if they weren't there and I continue my walk.

I walk to my old house that burned three years ago. I kneel to the ground and I find my mockingjay token. It's still fine as if there wasn't a fire here. I smile and I take it. I sit for about an hour in front of the house without a word. I hear my stomach grumble.

I can't eat today. It's the reaping. We have to save everything for tonight.

I stand up and walk. I walk to the only place that I feel like if it was home. The training centre. Fortunately, it's not locked. I enter it with no problems. I open the lights. I see the knives station and I happily run toward it. I grab a knife and started to throw.

-What are you doing here? a male voice asks.

I turn around and I see Cato Hadley. Gosh. It's been a year I haven't seen him. My crush on him was fading. Seeing him again doesn't help...

-Um throwing knives, I rudely answer.

-'kay.

-You?

-Same thing as you. But I'm with swords.

So, he's now with the swords? He awkwardly walks to the swords station.

-Are we allowed be in here? I suddenly ask.

He's surprised and almost hit himself with his sword.

-Don't think so.

-'kay.

I continue my knives throwing. Cato Hadley is 18. He's here to practice one last time before the games. He'll volunteer for sure.

-Are you here because you'll volunteer? I ask trying not to be annoying.

-Yeah.

He almost looked surprised I talked to him.

He's allowed to be here, not me. I look at the clock. 11 am. Crap. I have to get home before they ask me where have I been. Without telling goodbye to Cato, I leave.

On my way home, many thoughts are stuck in my brain. Cato Hadley. I haven't see him for a year. After our conversation, I felt something in my stomach. Oh no. Stop Clove. You cannot like him. First, he's 3 years older than you. That won't happen. Second, there are hundred of prettier girl than you. Just don't think about it.

I may deny it but I know deep inside that he's the one who makes my heart bounce like this.

I'm already home. I knock on the door. It's Maria.

-GOD CLOVE! We thought you were kidnapped!

I just laugh while she slaps me.

-That's not funny! Prepare yourself for the reaping.

She'll drink with her friends while me and Dylan will be panicking to death.

I walk to my room. It's not the first time she slaps me like that.

I lie on my bed with that one thought: I fell for you again, Cato Hadley.

I look for my reaping clothes. They're always the same. We don't have enough money for it. Red dress. It's not too flashy. It's not girly and not too boy neither. It's just perfect. For the first time of my life, I feel doing something else than a poneytail. Instead, I make a braid.

Dylan is already ready. He was waiting for me. He doesn't want to show it, but I know he's anxious and all he wants to do is cry. I've been through this too.

-What if I'm picked? he asks me.

-Someone will volunteer for you, I answer while thinking of Cato.

-I don't want to look weak but I think I'm too young for it.

We laugh. We laugh because we're nervous. Nothing else.

-And if you get picked? he asks worried.

-Then I'll go, I answer with expressing any emotions.

-Promise me you'd win.

-Hey! Who says I'll be picked? Let's stay positive. Maybe the odds will be in our favour this year.

He nods with a small smile.

-Everything will be fine.

Not everything won't be fine. It was a lie. Cato will go. Maybe it'll be better for me to watch him die. To get over it. He won't love me back. We talked for the first time at the training centre this morning.

Wait. The training centre. The mockingjay token. Don't tell me I lost it again!

It's 2 pm. Everyone is reunited at the center of the district. Dylan is going in the boys 12 year old section with his friends. I walk to the 15 year old girls section. I stand next to two girls.

An ugly lady who looks like a clown walks on stage and starts a speech and the mayor too. It's boring. It's the same thing every year. They show us a little video. Boring as hell too.

I'll tell you what there's on the video if I get out alive. I promise. I'm not in the mood today.

-Let's pick out tributes! As usual, ladies first! she says with a Capitol accent while walking to a huge bowl of glass. Inside, there's 3 times my name inside of it.

My heart doesn't bounce anymore so does the heart of every single girl of the district.

-Clove Kentwell!

No. No. No. This must be a mistake. I'm too young! I can't go! I see the smirks on the faces. They won't volunteer for me. They'll have fun while watching me die.

-Come on dear!

I sigh and I walk on stage trying not to look scared.

-Any volunteers?

We can hear nothing but my heart beat. No one volunteered, as expected.

-Time for the boys!

If the odds are in our favour, Dylan won't be picked.

-Dylan Kentwell.

Ha. Can someone wake me up of this nightmare please.