Epilogue

Shawn's POV

"Whoa..." I said as we stepped into the apartment. My hands were carrying a few boxes and Em walked behind me tugging along our suitcases. "This place..."

I set the box down on the counter. Sure the apartment isn't big. Actually it's tiny. It was basically only one room where a bed fit and a counter separated the room from the kitchen. There weren't any doors except for the two that lead to the closet or small bathroom. And there was only enough space for a desk in the corner. But other than that...it seemed perfect to me. I ran over to the window and opened up the curtain expecting to see a brick wall but instead there was a view of the street in front of us including a small fire escape that had an empty plant pot.

"I like it." Em said smiling softly. I turned to look at her, her grin widening. My smile could not describe the amount of happiness that surged through me. I ran over to Em hugging her tightly as she laughed while I kissed her head continuously.

"This place," I said between kisses. "Is so amazing because you're here."

"Hmm..." Em looked up at me her arms holding me close. She kissed my chin lightly as she said, "This is our first home you know that?"

I nodded pulling out my phone placing it in front of us, "Selfie!"

As we settled into the house we would goof around. Em let me put a whole case of hats under the window because she placed cushions allowing it to become a small seating area where we'd read. Next to it was Em's bookshelf that she decided to bring up all the way from home. The moving truck was downstairs and luckily we found a flat with an elevator. That was something Em had required when we were looking for places to live.

New York was constantly buzzing. The moment we arrived all that was happening was persisting movement. Between the cars, people, and even the lights, everything was in motion. Every so often if a car let out a large puff of exhaust I'd have a small coughing fit until Em would hand me my inhaler. That was why we tried to find somewhere that wasn't located directly in the middle of the city. We soon learned that everything was city but some places were better than others. Honestly, the city life was way different than the little bubble we used to live in.

Some people aren't city people and they prefer calmed areas and lives. But New York moved like my mind did. Constantly shifting from idea and idea and never stopping. All it did was move just like I think. It was like watching the inside of my head and I'd never felt so at home. Even if a part of me was dying at least I knew this would live on.

Em had chosen the perfect home. Not just the inner aspect of our little flat but right across from us was a coffee shop. When I first stepped into that shop all I could smell was waffles. My mouth instantly started to water and from that moment on I realized how unconditionally screwed I was now living right across from this cafe. A few blocks down was a Barnes and Noble and I think Em knew too because the moment we walked in she went to Customer Service and picked up a few books she needed to read for over the summer.

"So," I said once the movers finally left after transferring all our stuff from the truck to the small flat. "What could we possibly do now?"

Em finished her bowl of cereal, the only food we currently had in the flat, and checked her watch. "We could go see the new doctor that you'll be visiting. Maybe check out the clinic."

I groaned ripping some tape off the moving back, "That's a worse idea than a unicorn sniffing a acting like a dog and sniffing another dogs butt. "

Em chuckled, "I guess we'll do that tomorrow. So...ice cream?"

I looked up at her and smiled, "You're getting warmer."