Chapter 33: Froggers

Somewhere along the Atled Delta.

10:30 p.m. 17th Peniel 1091.

Under the half moon, a dark silhouette sailed on a silent river, its inhabitants thankful for the cover of night. Hektor sat on the ship's main deck with his back resting on the mainmast. He winced, stifling a cry as Kashi tightened a bandage over his injury.

"That ought to stop the bleeding," Kashi said as he patted the teen on his shoulder. "You really need some armor, though. It would be foolish to perish because of a stubbed toe."

Hektor nodded and then lay down on his back. He closed his eyes, and his breath evened out as he drifted off into sleep.

Kashi looked around the deck and nodded when he noticed Iason and the rest were also asleep, having followed his instructions to get some shuteye. He walked up to the stern where Jero held the steering wheel, eyes peeled on the narrow river.

"How do you suggest we attack?" Jero asked, glancing askance in Kashi's direction.

"Not sure yet," Kashi replied. "What do you know about Merswamp?"

Jero's brows furrowed in thought. "Not a lot. I heard it had been abandoned on account of froggers and stalkers."

"Stalkers?"

"Yes. Terrible creatures that dominate the swamps south of Merswamp," Jero explained. "During this season they migrate... no, escape further north."

"Escape?" Kashi's brow rose. "What are they escaping from?"

"It's the season of the geruk frogs," Jero clarified. "They are too dangerous even for stalkers."

"I see." Kashi rested on the railing, enjoying the night breeze. "How long until we get there?"

"Three hours at the most. Half that if the wind stays on our side," Jero replied.

"Okay then. Go get some rest. I shall take over."

Jero relinquished the wheel. He observed the daeben as he took the wheel and gently but surely took control. "You have experience?"

Kashi chuckled. "Not exactly. Learned a bit from someone I know. I can only navigate open rivers in calm weather, though. Anything beyond that and I am no better than a baby."

"Still, it's impressive." Jero watched for a bit longer. When he was sure they would not crash in their sleep, he sat down and rested against the railing. He promptly fell asleep soon after.

Kashi looked down at the half-elf and then back to the river ahead of him. 'How should I do this?'

Ping! Ping!

A sharp sound resounded in Kashi's left ear as a window opened in front of him.