Chapter 23: Broken

Start from the beginning

But not so soon.

The offer is very tempting, and living in Italy seems agreeable. Mom and dad were both Italian, and I have always wondered what it would be like to live there. I've never been there, though mom told me I was born in Rome, Italy. I can speak their language, understand, but cannot write.

Zio Dante patted my cheek very gently and fondly, his eyes brimming with love for a daughter, and I felt like he was my father. My eyes moistened at the simple fatherly gesture. I suddenly missed my dad, he would do the same if he was here, always making sure that I am safe, though sometimes, his overprotectiveness is suffocating, but I was a grateful kid. I never complained.

"Thank you, zio," I nod my head appreciatively and smiled. "I'll have to talk with zia Estella and Tristan tonight, I'm sure there won't be any problem," I added, and he nodded his head in approval.

"Please do send my regards to them, and I will see you soon," he bid goodbye, then I turned to Martino who stretched out his hand towards the exit door, motioning me to the door, I nod my head, then quietly head first with him following me. Outside, he led me to the Black Lexus waiting for us.

We sat in the back. With him inside, the car felt cramped. "Have you ever visited Italy?" Martino spoke casually, breaking the silence. Tearing off my eyes away from the window, I trained it to him.

I shook my head, giving him a tentative smile. "No. My father never brought me to any place. He was far too keen for my safety. All my life, I spent it with my tutor, the housemaids, and with my mother. I never left the safety of our house." I smiled, recalling upon my past life when my parents were still alive.

Even when my father is away for business, he never left us alone by ourselves. And as far as I remember, my mother never left the house either. She loves my father too much to disobey him. We have maids to do all the house works, and mom and I, spent time together when I'm free from my tutors, and I won't trade that for anything.

"Oh, I bet he did. It's not surprising," he chuckled, and I smiled, warming up from him. He's not that bad compared to my first impression. "He was a very possessive man to his property," Martino grinned, thought-provokingly. I stared at him, thinking how much he knew my father.

I wish I know more about my father, but I kept that in my head.

How come I never heard of Martino?

I noticed the 5'oclock shadow on his face, which caused him to look even more mysterious and dangerous.

"But I've been to Italy," I told him, smiling upon recalling the city we stayed and Isaias. It was beautiful, the scenic view is splendid. The thought of him had my heart twinged painfully.

"Really?" he looks surprised. "So Estella brought you to Italy?" he guessed, and I shook my head

"Ohh..." he hummed, his eyebrows veered, meeting together firmly.

The smile on my lips vanished upon remembering his cruelty. Bitterness crawled in the pit of the stomach, pain settles in my heart. I could feel the tears starting to well up under my eyelids, and I ducked my head so he wouldn't see my eyes glistening, with the tears threatening to fall.

I stared out the heavy tinted window, the street becoming so familiar, just then I remember I never called Mrs. Fair. Cynthia called me many times yesterday. I was so pre-occupied with Isaias I forgot to call her back, and now, it's way past eight, I was supposed to be there at eight.

"The Fair blossom, I'm transferring it to your name. I bought it from Mrs. Fair."

His words echoed in my head. I wonder why Mrs. Fair never told us.