Chapter Six: Formally Yours

The bell rang, school letting out for the day. I stood up, letting the bones in my body crack and wake up. People we're still congratulating One Direction as I waved goodbye to my friends, walking up to the boys. Liam was the first to notice me, walking over and hugging me.

"You guys were amazing! And your voice!" I gushed like a fan girl, he was so talented. "I can't believe I never heard you all before." Liam shrugged as he just smiled, looking back at Harry who was busy talking to a junior. 

"So... Are you going to... Say, yes?" Liam put his hands in his pocket, looking at me with hopeful eyes. A small smile appeared on my lips as I nodded. Liam's face lit up like a little kid on Christmas morning. "Really? Oh thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!" Liam pulled me into another hug, almost as bone crushing as Harry's was during lunch.

"Hey get away from my girlfriend!" Harry's voice made Liam break away from me, Harry's arm flopping onto my shoulders. "I knew she couldn't resist my charm," he said cockily. My eyes nearly eye rolling out of habit, but I stopped myself. I seem to be rolling them too much. "Do you want a ride home?" 

"Whose driving?" I joked. "I'd love one!"

"I'm driving! As much as those blokes complain," Harry grinned. Some of his hair fell in his eyes, my hand itching to reach out and brush it aside. "Do I get to my girlfriend's mother soon?" 

"Maybe, you all might overwhelm her. She hasn't met any boys since freshman year when I brought home my last boyfriend."

"Your last boyfriend was in freshman year?" Harry's eyes were wide with surprise. "No way! You better start brushing up on your couple skills then. I do not need my girlfriend acting like a huge prude. You know how to hold hands, right?" His voice was playful but also serious, contrasting.

"Yes, I know how to hold hands, Harry," I stuck my tongue out playfully. "I am not a huge prude! And we had dated until the middle of sophomore year, so it wasn't that long ago."

"Uhm, tinkerbell, that's about two years ago."

"Did you just call me tinkerbell?" Keeping a serious face was hard with him around, my laughter ringing through the air.

"Hey love birds! I'm ready to go home!" Niall interrupted us. Turns out everyone had already left the room except us, it seemed as if we had been caught in our own world. Harry guided me out the door, turning to make a face at the rest of the gang.

"Don't be jealous just because you can't get a piece of her," Harry's arm on my shoulder moved to hooking it through mine.

"I had her first technically," Niall reminded. 

"Toe-mate-o, toe-maht-o," Zayn said in a bored voice. "I'm starving!"

~

On Saturday night, riding home with Harry felt safe and slow. With Liam, Niall, and Zayn, Harry seemed like a reckless driver almost, the noise levels nearly at maximum. Niall and Liam we're screeching at each other in the back seat, Zayn trying to tune them out with his singing. Luckily I was in front, the boys acted like a gentlemen when it came to that, and I could hear the radio. Harry tried to focus on the road, but started to sing along and joke around. By the time I stepped out of the car I felt like thanking my lucky stars.

"Welcome to my humble home," I said while kicking off my shoes. The boys left their shoes at the front door, all their school stuff had been left in the car. "Mother?" I called out, the living room lamp was on, and there was a light coming from the kitchen.

"In here! What is it?" The voice that had calmed me down many times in the middle of night, and sang me soft lullaby's called.

"I... I have some people I want you to meet," I said, getting closer to the kitchen. I looked behind me, the boys had organized themselves into a line. Niall knew I had a small living arrangement, but the other guys were taking in every detail. I popped my head into the kitchen, my mother standing at the counter tossing salad.