Chapter Seventy-One - 'He got off'

Start from the beginning

As soon as the two had read it their mouths fell agape, "Prefect?" Fred said as he continued to stare at the letter.

"Prefect?" George asked as he ran over to look at the envelope so he could where it was from. "No way."

"There's been a mistake." Fred snatched the letter away from Ron and moved it up to the light so he could see that it was actually from Hogwarts.

"It's definitely from Hogwarts." Eliza muttered as she took it off her friend.

"No one in their right mind would make Ron a prefect," The twins turned to look at Harry, "We thought you were going to be one. Winning the Triwizard and everything."

"I suppose all the mad stuff must have counted against him." George told Eliza and Fred.

"Yeah," Fred said slowly, "Yeah, you've caused too much trouble, mate. Well, at least one of you's got their priorities right." He walked over to Harry and patted his back, "Prefect, ickle Ronnie the Prefect."

"Ohh, Mum's going to be revolting." George groaned as he threw the badge back at Ron as though it was going to contaminate him. 

Harry picked up the badge and started to examine it when Hermione burst into the room, "Did you, did you get?" She shrieked as she saw the badge in Harry's hand. "Me too, Harry, me too!"

"No," Harry said quickly as he put it back into Ron's hand, "It's Ron, not me."

"It - what?"

"Ron's a prefect, not me."

"Ron?" Hermione said as he jaw dropped, "But, are you sure? I mean." She turned red as Ron turned to glare at her.

"It's my name on the letter."

"I, I, well... wow! Well done, Ron. That's really..."

"Unexpected." George finished.

"No." Hermione started to blush even more, "No, it's not. Ron;s done loads of, he's really..."

The door behind  Hermione opened and Mrs Weasley walked in carrying a freshly ironed set of robes for the two boys, "Ginny said the book-lists had come at last." She glanced around the room at all the opened letters spread around. "If you give them to me I'll take them over to Diagon Alley this afternoon and get your book while you're packing. Ron, I'll have to get you more pyjamas,  these are at least six inches too short, I can't believe how fast you're growing, what colour would you like?" 

"Get him red and gold to match his badge."George smirked.

"Match his what?" Mrs Weasley said, not taking in what her son had said.

"His badge." Fred repeated, "His lovely shiny new prefect's badge."

It took a few moments for Mrs Weasley to realise what he meant by it, "His... but... Ron, you're not...?" Ron held up his badge causing her to shriek. "I don't believe it! I don't believe it! Oh, Ron, how wonderful. A prefect! That's everyone in the family!"

"What, are Fred and I, next door neighbours?" George said as she flung her arms around to hug Ron. 

"Wait until your father hears! Ron, I'm so proud of you, what wonderful news, you could end up Head Boy just like Bill and Percy, it's the first step! Oh, what a thing to happen in the middle of all this worry, I'm just thrilled, oh, Ronnie." Both Fred and George were pretending to be sick behind her back.

"Mum, don't, Mum, get a grip."  

"Well, what will it be? We gave Percy an owl, but you've already got one, of course."

"W-what do you mean?" Ron said as though he couldn't believe what he was hearing.  

"You've got to have a reward for this!" Mrs Weasley said happily, "How about a nice new set of dress robes?"

"We've already bought him some." Fred said bitterly.

"Or a new cauldron, Charlie's old one's rusting through, or a new rat, you always liked Scabbers."

"Mum," Ron said hopefully, "Can I have a new broom?" Mrs Weasley's face fell slightly, broomstick were very expensive, "Not a really good one! Just, just a new one for a change."

"Of course you can, well, I'd better get going if I've got a broom to buy too. I'll see you all later, little Ronnie, a prefect! And don't forget to pack your trunks - a prefect - oh, I'm all of a dither!" She gave Ron yet another kiss on the cheek before leaving the room. 

Fred and George glanced at each other, "You don't mind if we don't kiss you, do you, Ron?" 

"We could curtsey, if you like." George said.

 "Oh, shut up." Ron scowled at them. 

"Or what?" Fred grinned to himself, "Going to put us in detention?"

"I'd love to see him try." George chuckled.

"He could if you don't watch out!" Hermione told them angrily.

Fred and George both burst out laughing as Eliza tried her hardest to not to smile, "Drop it, Hermione."

"We're going to have to watch our step, George." Fred pretended to tremble, "With these two on our case."

"Yeah, it looks like our law-breaking days are finally over." George shook his head. 

Fred and George looked back over at Eliza and the three then disaparated into the twins' room. As soon as they were in there the two boys burst out into loud laughter, "I can't believe it, our little brother." They began to gasp for air, "Oh, that's the funniest thing ever."

Eliza shook her head, "You two are so mean to your brother! It's good for him."

"Even you were not appointed prefect!"

She sent a glare towards them, "That has something to do with the fact I'm best friends with you two!" 

"Nothing wrong with that!" Fred replied.

"Except I get in trouble a lot because of you." She told them cheekily, "Not that that's a bad thing."

"To think we only have a year left until we open our joke shop."

"Are you counting the days down?" Eliza asked them.

The twins laughed at her, "Of course, that'll be the best day ever."

"What are you going to do once you finish Hogwarts?" George asked her curiously.

She looked down, "I've try-outed for the Ballycastle Bats, so hopefully I'll be able to make it."

"Hopefully?" The twins shouted, "You will get in for sure!" 

Eliza chuckled, "I don't know though."

"Where are you going to live?"

"I don't know, I haven't thought about it much."

"What about Oliver? Will you move in with him?"

She shook her head quickly, "No, no. We haven't been together long enough and we are too young to live together."

"You're living with us then." Fred told her as though it was final. "The place we've been looking at to buy has three bedroom which will be perfect for us."

Eliza grinned to herself, "It does sound perfect."