1: Monstrous

Delilah strode into the belly of the beast with one hand resting on the hilt of the dagger at her belt, ready to face the monster within. Kaya and Nell dragged the carcass of a magnificent animal in her wake, leaving a crimson trail behind them as they stalked past guards and began their descent into the mountain catacombs.

Not a carcass, Delilah reminded herself. Not yet. If the animal died before she reached Dante, she would most likely be punished.

Punished. By him. Like he thinks he's my master. Her skin crawled with heat, but she took a deep breath and forced her walk to turn into a prowl.

She glanced behind her only once to check on the stag as they neared the door to the Night Bringer's meeting room. Kaya's eyes flashed blue in the eerie purple half-light, but Nell was practically a wraith, her colouring blending into the shadows so well that only the whites of her eyes could be seen.

Someone cleared his throat as Delilah lifted a bloodstained boot to kick the doors open. She raised an eyebrow at Hawk, the man guarding the door. "Something wrong, Feathers?"

Her boot hit both doors and they swung open with a satisfying crash. Delilah stalked into the pristine room, locking eyes with the king sat at the head of the table. She waved her accomplices forward and they deposited the white stag in its centre.

Council members jumped to their feet or shoved their chairs back in shock. Parchment flew everywhere. There was silence for a long, intense moment as the stag shuddered feebly and Delilah shook her hair out of her hood, waiting for Dante to speak.

Dante got up, prowled towards the dying animal with the grace of a lynx, and slit its throat. A few council members turned away, others hid their faces with their hands, and Delilah smirked at all of them. Pathetic.

Dante turned his focus back on her and she looked up at him innocently, waiting for the reprimand. She had interrupted something which had undoubtedly been extremely important... by putting an animal on the table.

And how it filled her with satisfaction.

"Get out. Stand with Hawk." The order was directed only at her. Nell and Kaya would get off freely, like they always did. Dante's tone was smooth and silken, a politician's voice, but the bite beneath was enough to make every other man in the room cringe.

Kaya and Nell followed her out of the room and clapped her on the shoulder before they left. Delilah expected no words of comfort, no silent solidarity, and she received none. If their roles had been reversed, she certainly would not have wanted to linger any longer than necessary, either.

Hawk grinned at her as soon as the door shut. The captain of the guard was clad in scale-like fighting leathers that made him look half-lizard. The warm tones of his skin and dark hair were muted in the cavern's lights.

"You pissed him off."

"No. I followed orders. He told me that he had to be the one to kill the stag so he would get its supposed good luck. What should I have done, waited here and killed the animal through sheer stupidity?" Delilah smiled at him. "Unlike you, I have a brain."

"If you had a brain, you'd have your throne back by now, Princess."

Delilah narrowed her eyes. If he did not shut up, the smartarse was about to get a dagger in his skull.

And then Dante would definitely kill her. Or she would lose all hope of his help and their deal would be broken.

Sometimes Delilah thought she hated the king more than she did her father.

Hawk's grin widened when she mimed slitting his throat. They stood in silence for what seemed like an age: Delilah simmering with anger, Hawk in amusement.