3 / Nightly Games

Chapter Three: Nightly Games

Throughout the passing days, I became accustomed to seeing Evans every single time I turned a corner.

Every time I left the bathroom, he was there. Every time I was walking home, he was driving.

I could never be rid of him.

But I guess it doesn't really hurt me from seeing him all the time, because looking at him... is quite rewarding.

Of course, we haven't really spoken a word to each other, just simple glances passing by the both of us.

Now, it's Thursday, and Claire and I are sitting by the table next to the window we have now deemed ours.

"So, you like any guys yet?" She asks as she stuffs her face with a pizza she bought from the cafeteria.

I was going to say I  find Evans attractive — which is putting it lightly — but I've noticed  over the past few days that she's somewhat territorial about him, so I  chose to keep silent about my small attraction.

I simply shrug my shoulders and pay attention to my container filled with noodles my father, Emanuel made yesterday for dinner.

Suddenly, a group of guys from one of the other tables begin banging their fists on the table.

"Yo, listen up!" A guy with shaggy blonde hair and brown eyes shouts.

"Friday night. Soccer  game. If you want to see your school win the fuck out of the game, get  your asses onto the bleachers at 6.00pm," Evans follows after, and the  crowd around them shouts in cheers.

"Oh my God I completely forgot about tomorrow! We have to go!" Claire shouts, bringing my attention back to her.

The thought of soccer brings my mind back to Tyler. "Uh, I don't know—"

"Please, I promise it'll be fun," Claire pouts, clasping her hands together in front of her.

I sigh. "Fine. But if our school loses I'm blaming you, not them," I point my finger directed to her and she laughs.

"Fine, deal," she gives me her hand to shake, and I chuckle before putting my hand in hers.

We both continue eating afterwards, and I decide to look around the large cafeteria.

My eyes stop moving when they meet a familiar pair of mahogany colored eyes.

Evans and I stare at each other blankly, but inside, my heart is thumping as fast as a speeding car.

On Friday, the whole school day was spent with students advertising the first soccer game of the semester.

Clearly, soccer is a big deal here in Creaks Hill.

After school, Claire and I made our way to her house to get ready for the game.

"Okay, our mascot is the  crocodile, so our school colors are green and yellow," she explains as  she rummages through her closet.

I cringe at the thought of those two colors being worn on one body. "Ew," is all I say.

"Oh, shush! We can make it work," she exclaims, and I roll my eyes at her jolliness.

After what seems like to  be forever, Claire squeals and turns around to face me with a large  grin spread across her pink lips. "I have a yellow skirt, and green  shorts, which do you prefer?"

"Shorts," I reply immediately.

She smiles and tosses them to me before looking back inside her closet. "You want a yellow tank?" She asks, and I sigh loudly.