9-Solution

I was making my way to lunch when someone grabbed me by the shoulder, causing me to jump.

"Calm down, it's me."

"A-All Might..." I plastered a fake smile on my face. "It's been a while.

"I have something I want to talk to you about. Follow me."

"Oh...okay." I followed All Might to the teacher's lounge where he turned to his true form and relaxed on the couch. I sat on a chair across from him. "What did you wanna talk about."

"Your grades are plummeting."

I inhaled sharply. So he knew.... I chuckled a little. "It's nothing." I smile again. "It's just because I'm not in the swing of things yet-"

"That's not it." All Might interrupted me. "Midoriya, are you sure you want to keep attending UA?"

My smile faltered slightly. "O-of course! I mean...I'm getting a good education, it's not too expensive, and-"

"But you came here to be a hero. Not because it was the school you wanted. You wanted to go here for the sole purpose of being a hero. Now, that option was taken away."

I swallowed. It wasn't far off. No, that was right on point. "B-but...I-"

"Izuku. Are you sure that you're happy?"

My faint smile vanished. "Happy...I-I..." Tears started to leak. I'm such a crybaby... I wiped them away, but they were replaced with fresh water. Before I knew it, I was a sobbing mess. "I-I ju-just wanna b-be a h-hero like you!"

Thin arms wrapped around me and I returned the embrace without thinking. I was a sobbing mess. My world had been torn from under me, all my hopes and dreams along with any friendships I had made during my short time at UA. And here was All Might, my hero. He didn't give me those comforting words, "You can be a hero." Instead, he just embraced me in a way you would hold a person who realized that their best friend died. He didn't offer me any words of hope, and I knew that he wouldn't. What I wanted and longed for was impossible at this point.

We stayed that way until my crying had stopped. At that time, lunch was basically over. All Might poured me some tea to calm me down and offered me his lunch. "I'd noticed you haven't been eating lately. I know that this is hard for you, but you can't just give up. There are a million different jobs out there which I know you'd excel at. Your smart and hardworking, which makes for a coworker that everyone wants. There's a job fair coming up that I think would be helpful for you to attend..."

The room went silent and I tried to stifle the disappointment on my face. I'd never thought that I wouldn't end up a hero. It had seemed impossible without a quirk, but it was something I never gave up on. To think of a new career path after such a long time...

"I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, kid. It's a painful time for both of us-"

"Are you going to find a new successor?"

It was a very blunt question, but I knew this would change everything. If All Might took a new successor, I wouldn't be able to spend time with him. He would be another person that I would have to forget about. Just like everyone else from my past.

The room went silent once more. All Might didn't look at me. After a few minutes, a soft voice answered. "Yes. Or a better answer, I have."

The words stung, but I tried not to let it show.

"Everyone thought you were dead," All Might continued. "Including me. Your mother was the only one who wouldn't give up on you. At least, that's what she said. She started to doubt it just like the rest of us a few weeks before we rescued you. My successor is a third year named Mirio."

"I-I see." I stood up slowly. "I guess that you have a new successor, I won't be hanging around you much anymore."

All Might didn't say anything. Without the ability to safely use my quirk, I was just another one of his students. No...I was less than that. All Might didn't teach any other classes besides the one for the Hero Course students.

"I guess I'll see you around then, All Might," I muttered the words, trying to keep the bitterness out of my voice.

All Might said nothing. The bell hadn't rung and I hadn't touched the food All Might had offered me, but I wasn't too concerned. I walked to my classroom and took my seat. The tears waited until I was alone to start flowing. No matter how much I wished I could go back to the past, I couldn't. Why had All Might given me false hope? If he hadn't, I would have been happy and clueless as a quirkless loser. But now, I was a loser with a useless quirk with the insane dream of being a hero.

I looked down at my books. The corner of my notebook was peaking out. I picked it up and opened it to a random page. It was the page on Kacchan. I glared at the notes. They were all useless. Every single page which I had poured my heart and soul into. I glared at the pages with an intensity that could burn a hole through it. Without a second though, I slammed the notebook shut and chucked it across the classroom. "I hate you!" I have no idea who I was yelling at, but it made me feel better to get it out of my system.

"Well," came a voice from the doorway. I jumped at it. "Looks like someone's having a temper tantrum."

Hitoshi was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed. "What? The great Izuku Midorya has finally realized what being in General Studies is really about? It's not a very popular place to be, as you can imagine, but once you get to know the kids here, we tend to stick together."

"I-it's not that. Sorry you had to see me like that, though. I'm just a little stressed at the moment. I'll be fine in a little bit."

"You never really explained why you're not in the Hero Course. When we fought in the sport's festival, you had an amazing quirk."

I wasn't sure if I could tell him about One for All, so I didn't. "I-I can't use it anymore. It breaks my bones and I'm in danger of permanent paralysis in my arms if I keep using it." It was the truth, just not all of it.

"I've never heard of a quirk that could ruin a person's body like that. Did it just manifest too quickly?"

I didn't want to answer him since his quirk was brainwashing, which he could use to force me to tell the truth. Thankfully, the bell rang and I was saved. I just shrugged and went to pick up my notebook.

~

I have a feeling that this book will not have a happy ending.

I mean, as I was writing it I thought of a great ending, but let's just say it's not gonna end with an amazing recovery and Izuku becoming a hero...

Ok no more spoilers!

((Sorry about the late update last chapter. I thought I had posted it, but I hadn't))