For You

It was one of those summers again.

Alice breathed in the crisp air of the Burrow. She loved spending time with everyone. Especially...

"Alice!" James ran over to her when he saw her coming. She tried not to blush, but it didn't stop her heart from fluttering a little. She smiled.

"Hi, James."

"We were just about to start a game of Quidditch. Want to play?"

She shook her head. "I'm not a fan of playing. But I'd love to watch you play."

His black hair blew in the wind, showing off his warm hazel eyes. James looked down at the ground, then cast her a sideways smile.

He was about to respond when Fred became impatient.

"Hurry up over there! You can snog later!"

James glared at his cousin, causing Roxy to laugh.

"Awww," she began. "I think it's sweet that they are secretly in love with each other!"

Now they had everyone's attention. And to make matters worse, Fred decided to play along.

"Hey, Roxy, did you know they have the same Patronus?"

James rolled his eyes and Alice turned a deep shade of scarlet.

"Mine's a stag," James said, like it was obvious.

"So is Alice's."

"Mine's a doe!" She said, and didn't make eye contact with anyone.

"Same thing!" Harry yelled from a few feet away, causing his relatives to laugh.

"It doesn't matter, anyway," Alice wrapped her arms around herself. It suddenly became very windy and cold. "Just because two people have similar–"

"Alice!" Lily came running when she saw her friend. She had been inside helping Ginny when she heard the brown-haired girl speak.

"Oh, Lily! It's so good to see you," Alice said as she embraced the twelve-year old girl.

James smiled and couldn't help but feel joy as he watched his two favorite girls hug.

"What did I miss?" Lily asked.

"Well, Lily," Albus walked over and smirked at his older brother. "James is in love with Alice."

"Oh, yay! I've always wanted a sister!" Lily exclaimed. "And Alice Potter has a nice ring to it!"

Alice looked down like she suddenly became very interested in the grass.

James laughed.

Was he laughing at his friend? Was he seriously making fun of her?

Alice frowned and ran inside. Tears were forming. She ran to the bathroom because no one could bother her there.

Immediately after, James glared at his family. He sprinted inside after Alice. His mother was cutting carrots when she saw him. "James?"

But he didn't pay her any attention.

"Where is she?"

"The bathroom. She didn't look too happy."

He ran down the hallway and knocked on the door.

"Alice?"

No answer.

"Alice, it's James. I'm coming in."

He slowly pushed the door open and watched as his best friend sat, crying on the floor.

He rushed over to her and held her, but she tried to push him away.

"What's wrong, Ali?"

Her soft brown hair fell in her face and was became wet from her tears.

"Don't call me that. You laughed at me."

James felt confused and didn't know what to do. "What are you talking about? I didn't laugh at you. I would never do that... What would I even be laughing at?"

"They were talking about us being together. I know they were joking, but it's like you're too daft to even notice."

"Notice what?"

She sighed. "Nothing."

She buried her head in his perfect shoulder. Alice Longbottom rarely cried. And when she did,  it was important.

"You know..." James began, "I'm not completely foolish."

"Oh yeah? Name one thing good you've done in your life," she scoffed.

He looked her in the eye.

"I fell in love with you, Alice Longbottom."

James took in a breath. "You probably know what I mean when I say this... I'm named after a brave man who died for what he believed in. I'll never live up to that. I know it. Sometimes I feel like I've never done anything important, but when I'm with you, nothing else matters."

Their faces were so close.

"I love you, Alice. I always have and I always will. In a big, forever kind of way."

She pulled his handsome face to hers and their lips met.

"I love you too."

And they wrapped themselves in a hug.

"I think there's a game of Quidditch waiting for you."