Chapter Five

Monday morning, I trudge into the hospital, following an orderly or nurse or someone in scrubs through the hallways. I hate the way a hospital smells. Being in one after my last visit makes my skin crawl. I cross my arms, not wanting to touch anything.

I can't wait to leave and tell Ari how awful this place is. She lands this afternoon, enough time for us to talk about our weekends and decide where to meet up at school the next day. I need to ask her about cheer practice, too.

I'm thinking hard about tomorrow to distract myself from my surroundings when I see another familiar face in zoo-animals scrubs.

"Hey, Mia!" Robin smiles.

"Hi, Robin," I say, smiling back. I don't remember a lot about my hospital stay, but I remember her smile and the zoo animals.

"I hear you're spending an hour or two here with me today. Let me show you around the pediatric ward."

I trail her as she shows me the nursing stations, long term rooms, intensive care area, bathrooms ... basically everything. The floor is quiet for being the kids' ward. I stop when we walk by a room that feels too familiar and I look inside. It's dark.

I flip on the lights. My instinct is correct. This was my room. It's empty now, the pristine white bed waiting for the next patient to come in. Weirded out, I back into the hallway. I'm struck by another thought and pull out my phone, Googling the latest rape victim.

"Come on. I'll suit you up. I have an easy duty for you," Robin calls from down the hall.

I wave to show I heard and walk slowly, absorbed with my online hunt. With mixed feelings, I see the latest rape victim is here. I look around then recall she's not a minor. She won't be on this floor.

I join Robin in the clean room. She's putting on plastic booties and a robe over her scrubs. I watch her place a hair net over her head and wash her hands before putting on gloves.

"Wash your hands first, then put on all that gear." She points to another set of over clothes.

I obey and suit up, not liking the feel of plastic against my skin at all. It feels cheap. Robin waits with a smile then opens the door opposite the entrance. I walk into the room beyond and stop.

Chris knows about the abortion. There's no such thing as freaky coincidences that find me standing in a place like this! He's too smart; I have no idea how he figures this stuff out, and I hate him for it. What is he doing? Trying to change my mind?

I'm surrounded by newborn babies. Some are fussy. Most are sleeping. They're arranged in neat rows of fifteen. A lot of them are wearing pink or blue hats while the others have maneuvered out of the hats.

"At the far end are bottles in a warmer. All you need to do is walk around, check the charts, and feed the ones whose charts say it's time." Robin's voice is quiet, so as not to wake the babies. She shows me a chart marked with a bottle and the time.

"He's sleeping," I say, peering into the first crib.

"It's ok. Wake him up. He might complain, but it's only until he figures out it's time to eat."

I don't think I can do this. Robin is smiling still. I feel like I owe her after the time she spent with me when I was on this floor in the kids' wing. Hands trembling, I approach the warmer on the opposite side of the room and return with a bottle.

"Just put it to his mouth. If he doesn't wake up at that, just nudge him gently."

I watch her place her hand on the boy's chest and rub. The baby wakes up. His face skews, until he realizes the bottle is there. His tiny mouth opens, and he starts to drink.