Chapter 8

Avi tried. He played his guitar, he sung bass notes, he watched Game Of Thrones, he even cleaned his room. Nothing he did would be able to get Kirstie off his mind, she was stuck there for a long time. It frustrated him; everywhere he turned it was as if she was there. He wished she was there.

When they pulled away from their kiss at the engagement party, he saw her swollen lips, her hair slightly frazzled, and the guilt punched him in the stomach. Kirstie had just cheated on Jeremy, who she would marrying so soon. Too soon.

He ran out of their home, he had to get out their as soon as possible. "Avi, wait!" Kirstie grabbed his arm to make him stop; both of their hearts were still beating incredibly fast from the heat of the moment. "Avi, I'm sorry but I-"

"It's okay, Kirstie. It was just wedding jitters, and you were still feeling emotional because you felt left out. It's okay, I understand why you did it," Avi said, finishing off her sentence for her. He knew it was just a spur-of-the-moment kind of situation, Kirstie obviously didn't have any romantic feelings for him.

"No, what I was trying to say was-" 

"No, Kirstie. You don't need to explain yourself to me, now you should get back inside and spend time with Jeremy and your friends. See you later," Avi muttered before running off to his car with tears streaming down his eyes before he could stop them. 

It was a few days later and he could still taste Kirstie on his lips. Sometimes when he closed his eyes and thought about it his heart would rapidly speed up. As much as he tried to deny it, the kiss was perfect. He wasn't supposed to enjoy it, he should've pulled himself off Kirstie as it would've been the responsible thing to do. Instead, he just kissed back with passion and let himself go in the moment.

Finally, what he had been dreaming of for years had come true, but it had happened while she was unavailable. Avi was a man of honour, he wasn't someone who would flirt with a girl intentionally if he knew she was taken. 

Avi sighed, this was all one big mess. He would never be able to look Kirstie the same way, not without staring at her lips. He decided to take out guitar and instead of trying to get Kirstie off his mind, he just accepted the fact that she was there. He strummed the familiar chords and began to sing the song he wrote for her.

I counted the stars tonight, oh how they shine so bright...