Iwaizumi: Mourning

My heart falls into my stomach as I bite my lip, fighting tears the best that I can. My eyes are locked onto the floor as the doctor apologizes, saying she'll give me a minute before coming back.

I want to wail and scream, or at least shed a single tear, but nothing. My mouth is dry, and so are my eyes, despite how sad I am. This was supposed to be a routine check up, nothing special.

The doctor comes back in, shutting the door softly, and taking a seat. She grabs her hands in mine, telling me, "Most of the time, patients experience-"

"Thank you for everything, I should head home." I say, cutting her off and standing up.

"Once again I'm so sorry." She murmurs as I leave.

I wander around the streets, not wanting to head home just yet, and have to explain to him. I should've called him right away, but that isn't something you should say over the phone. No, I'll wait.

I pass by a park, listening to the sounds of children laughing and playing, as my heart aches more. Still, I haven't cried, it's almost like everything is hazy, and even though I want to, I can't force myself to shed tears.

Placing my bag on the bench beside me, I sit down, letting my mind wander. My eyes stay on a single tree, tracing each and every branch from base to leaf. I must have traced almost every leaf, it's outline, the way it flutters in the wind, everything about it.

Suddenly, my phone rings, bringing me back to reality.

"Hello?" I answer dryly.

"(F/N) where the hell are you? I've been calling for hours!" He yells, his voice a mix of anger and concern.

"I'll head home now." I say hanging up the phone before he can continue.

I walk home, my mind completely blank, somehow sitting and doing nothing drained all of my energy.

I open my front door, running straight into Hajime in the process.

"(F/N) where the hell were you?" He asks, raising his voice as he embraces me tightly.

"I had a doctors appointment." I sigh, pulling away and heading to the couch where I plop down, laying my head on a pillow.

"Right... I guess I forgot." He chuckles, "Sorry for getting so angry."

"It's fine." I mumble.

"I'll make dinner, you hungry?" He asks, petting my hair.

I nod, and sit up to watch him get started in the kitchen.

•••

"You've been quiet all night, what's wrong?" He asks, as I lay my head in his lap.

"Hajime, I'm sorry." I say finally, looking up at him and clutching his T-shirt in my fist.

"(F/N) what's going on?" He asks, pulling me up to face him.

I shake my head, not wanting the words to leave my mouth, not wanting to make it real, final. I shut my eyes as he asks again.

"I lost the baby." I say flatly, as I press my head back down into his lap.

We sit together in silence for a few minutes before he breaks it, "We... I'm-"

"We can talk about it later Hajime, but I'm tired." I sigh, as my eyelids feel heavy, and slowly close.

•••

For the entire rest of the week, I sit at home, staring into space, or sleeping. Hajime tries to talk to me every day, and make things better, but there's little he can do.

I don't feel sad, I feel empty, and I guess I am. For hours, I'll sit in the nursery we started putting together, tracing my hands along the furniture and rearranging it haphazardly for no reason.

Some nights I sit in the rocking chair and fall asleep, awaking the next day with a blanket on me, and food on the table next to me.

Finally, we sit down on the couch, and Hajime grabs my hand, "You can't dwell on it (F/N), there's so much more we can do-"

"I'm sorry." I mutter, my eyes staring into his.

"Stop apologizing." He groans, "And quit acting like your the only one who lost it."

His words seem to stop the earths rotation itself. He's right, I was being selfish. Not once did I ask him if he was okay, or what we do now. He had been strong for me, taking care of me. All the time I spent distancing myself, I forgot he was mourning too.

Tears start pouring down my face, as sobs rack my body. He pulls me into a tight embrace, as his silent tears fall onto my head. He holds me close to him until I fall asleep, and for once since hearing the news, I feel alright.

Timeskip (1 year)

I wake up to the noise of crying, my husband sleeping right through it as usual. I smile softly as I get up, watching Hajime roll over in his sleep.

I press my bare feet to the cold floor, and walk into the nursery, making shushing noises as I go.

I reach into the crib, pulling out the tiny newborn baby boy, whose brown eyes are filled with tears. He starts calming down as I rock him, giving him a bottle and resting in the nursery chair.

I hum him to sleep, watching his eyelashes flutter and shut like a dolls, then lay him gently back in his crib. I run my fingers through his already wispy brown hair and smile, as a single tear escapes me.

I then head back to my own bedroom, jumping on my husband, who groans as his eyes open.

"What the hell, do you know what time it is?" He asks groggily.

I shake my head, as I trail breathy kisses down his neck and collar bones. He lets out a shaky breath before kissing me back.

"Hajime, I want lots of kids." I whisper into his ear, as I watch his cheeks tinge with pink.

I laugh, surprised my husband still blushes like a little boy at the mention of kids.

"Well.." he coughs, "I-Kids... Alright."

I giggle as I cuddle closer to him, his warmth surrounding me as I fall asleep.