Chapter 2: We need to talk

Colin's POV

My phone was ringing, breaking me out of my blissful sleep. I lifted my head unwillingly.

It was Jennifer.

I knew what was coming next. I knew her all too well. I picked up.

Jen's POV

"We need to talk." I said as soon as he picked up, a bit louder than I intended.

"And good morning to you too." he answered in a teasing manner.

How can he be so insensitive, I thought to myself.

He is the one who is married.

He is the one having seduced me in the first place. Not that I didn't want him to. It just felt awfully wrong.

"Come over as soon as you can. We really need to talk about this." I finally said.

"Shall I bring some Starbucks?"

He didn't seem to wanna drop the ironic tone.

It irritated me. A lot. And of course he knew it, that was his intention in the first place.

"Bring your ass to my house right now or I'll come there and bring you myself." I replied, ignoring everything I had just heard coming from his (quite talented, I must admit) mouth of his.

"Ok boss, no need to yell at me. You know I'll follow your orders anyway." he answered, letting a small laugh escape him.

That was enough. I hang up the phone without saying anything else. I knew all he wanted was to get on my nerves but I would not give him the satisfaction.

That was what he'd call it. A satisfaction.

I sighed and turned over to drive back to my house.

Colin's POV

I was standing outside her door. I hesitated at first, but rang her doorbell briefly.

I could hear her footsteps approaching.

The door opened.

Jen's POV

I rushed to the door to answer it and there he was, standing outside my house looking as gorgeous as always.

I took a moment to look into his blue eyes. It was awkward looking at him after spending a night with him. Especially knowing that for him it was nothing but a (beautiful) distraction from his messed-up life, while for me it was a lot more than just that. I'm not sure if he has that impact on me, or I'm just too emotional in general.

I saw him smile with that half smile I occasionally daydream about. I have caught myself thinking about him many times since we first met, a couple years ago. Who can blame me? He looks like a model. Well, a married one, but still...

I invited him in and we sat on opposite sides of my living room couch.

"Hey, listen" he tried to start his apologetic speech, but I didn't wanna hear it.

"Last night should not happen again. Ever." I interrupted him abruptly.

He nodded, silently agreeing to what I had just said, quite unwillingly, I noticed.

"I know last night was a mistake but..."

He surely didn't make this any easier.

"But what? You are married!" I snapped at him.

"There is no room for 'buts' and 'ifs' in this one. We work together. We will carry on working together, pretending this never happened, ok? Helen doesn't deserve this. I don't deserve this! You can't just go around playing with people's lives like that."

I took a deep needed breath after I blurted all my thoughts out.

I actually felt a lot better with myself having said all these out loud, my guilt gradually fading away.

I couldn't let myself think that this meant something more than what it was: a one-time thing. It's not worth trading a perfect friendship for something that apparently leads nowhere. Not to mention ruining Helen's life on top of everything. There were just so many things at stake.

He lifted his head slowly and looked straight into my eyes for a split second, then looked away again.

"You think that I was playing with you?" he asked, obviously disappointed and maybe slightly hurt, brushing his teeth over his bottom lip.

"Yes, I do! What else could this be?"

"Look, I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt."

"Well, you ultimately failed at that." I interrupted him once again.

Then, all of a sudden he decided to fight back.

"You know, last night wasn't entirely my fault. You were there too. It's not like I forced you to do anything." he defended himself.

He was right.

I clearly hadn't stopped him. I wanted this too. At least my carefree side did. But we needed to work things out. Playing the blame game wouldn't get us anywhere.

We remained silent for quite some time until I decided to break that silence.

"You know what? Yeah, we both made mistakes. I believe the best we can do is leave this all behind and move on. After all, we were both really wasted last night." I said, playing it safe.

He seemed to be thinking about it for a second but didn't respond.

"I think you should go." I suggested.

He was still lost in his thoughts, still looking away from me. I got up, moved towards him and offered him my hand.

"Come on, I'll walk you to the door."

He didn't move. He didn't even look at me. He acted as if I wasn't in the room. He was lost deep in his thoughts.

I was curious. What the hell was he thinking about at the moment? I wasn't used to him avoiding me.

Then he suddenly took my hand and got up.

"You are right..." he said standing before me "...but I don't wanna move on."

The moment he finished his sentence, he grabbed my face with both hands and kissed me.

He caught me completely off guard. All of a sudden, all my burdens and worries went away.

Oh, I swore to myself, this man would be my undoing.

Despite being conflicted inside, I enjoyed it. I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him back.

I could think of the consequences later.