Sugawara: Piano

A/N: The song above inspired this! It's from another anime I love (Toradora!). I recommend listening to it while you read.

Sugawara's POV

I stare at the piano, biting my lip and ignoring the tears that gloss over my eyes. I close the lid, and walk over to the other side of the room, while remembering the sound of her playing.

As I sit down, my eyes still bore into the piano, remembering when a certain girl would run her hands over the keys, with such grace and talent it could make you cry. I mentally scold myself, I'd been trying to quit thinking about the remnants of the past, but I couldn't seem to actually do it.

"Come here, and I'll show you." She chuckles, extending an arm towards me. I cross the room towards her, as her lips curl into a grin, and she slides over to make room on the bench.

"I don't know why you want to teach me, it's not like-"

"Because one day, I want to listen to you play." She chuckles, as her fingers press lightly on the keys. She begins to play slowly, forcing me to mirror her.

I shake my head, as if doing that would eliminate the memory. Grabbing my keys off of the counter I head out of the door. I begin the familiar walk through downtown, up and down the cross streets until I'm facing the large concrete building.

I step inside, waving to the woman at the front desk who knows me so well. She hands me a visitor sticker, not a single word leaving her lips.

I head down the corridor, tracing my hand along the uneven wall, before stopping outside of her room. I take a deep breath, staring at her name written above the door knob.

I open the door, as my eyes fall on her staring out of the window, a sad smile on her lips.

"Koushi." She breaths out, her eyes searching mine. I can barely maintain eye contact, my eyes dart to the floor as I sit on the edge of the bed opposite of her.

"H-How are you?" I ask, my voice shaking as the words leave my mouth.

"I'm doing fine... They're releasing me next week." She whispers, sounding like she doesn't believe it herself.

My eyes widen when hearing this, I hadn't heard anything about her leaving... She's been in here for such a long time, it's hard to imagine her out there with all of us again, "That's... good."

She nods, wringing her hands in her lap, "I know it's not fair for me to ask... but can I still stay with you?"

Immediately, I turn to look into her eyes, which have been drained of their life after spending two years in this place. They said this was best, and safer for everyone, but I miss the way (F/N) used to be.

"Why wouldn't you." I smile softly, lacing my fingers with hers.

She smiles back, as an old spark lights her eyes. For a moment, I return back to before. Before the flood of psychiatrists and anti-depressants, before she was locked up like a criminal.

"I don't know, I guess things between us aren't the same anymore, so-"

"Of course they're not." I interrupt, my bluntness surprising myself.

Her eyes hold mine, her lip quivering, "So you'll be here next week?"

I only nod, as my mind wanders. What will things be like when she's back? She still seems so frail, like the slightest thing could set her off. It'll be like living in a mine field.

"I'm not as fragile as you think Koushi, you don't have to worry." She mumbles, reading my thoughts.

•••

She enters the house, spinning around after taking off her shoes, "I missed the smell of our house." She grins.

The familiar surroundings change something in (F/N). I can't figure out why, but it makes her seem bigger, less broken.

As she steps into the living room, she bolts to the piano, like she forgot about it. Opening the lid, her fingers land on a single chord, as I release the breath I hadn't realized I was holding. The chord is sad and eerie, yet the next string of notes she plays turn it into a bitter sweet story.

Her body moves with the music, beautifully playing the entire piece nearly flawlessly, captivating my ears and eyes.

As she plays a final note, she breaks down into sobs. My eyebrows shoot up as I run over to her, clutching her shaking body.

"Don't blame yourself 'kay?" She tells me, clutching the back of my shirt to ground herself.

"I won't." I hush her, brushing my fingers through her hair.

As she quiets, I begin to play the very song she taught me, my fingers moving slowly over the keys coated in a layer of dust. She rests her head against my shoulder, listening to me play. She dozes off, as a tear slips from my eye, falling onto her lap.

Maybe things will be alright.