23| Care and Confidence

Dedicated to:thickpink950

Thanks a tonne for so many comments and numerous votes! I'll always be grateful of your support :):):)

o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o

"It's okay to feel unsure, it's fine to not know. Keep in mind that uncertainty doesn't last forever. Clarity always show up for us"

~Alex Elle

Logan's POV

"I love you" she muttered.

My eyes snapped open as I felt the floor shift from beneath my feet. I stared into emptiness, blankly, coaxing my mind to understand if I comprehended her words correctly.

Suddenly, her body went limp and she fell on me. It caused me to trip backward before I was successful in regaining my balance. I locked my hands around her waist so she doesn't fall and shook her gently.

"Claire?" I whispered. I couldn't recognize my own voice. It sounded hasty and scared.

"Hey? Claire?" I called out again, a little clearer this time, lifting her head so I could look at her face.

She had passed out. Already.

But that wasn't the problem anymore. The problem was what she told me and fell unconscious without explaining it.

Did she just say it jokingly? Or did she really mean it? I didn't know. And I believed I wasn't ready to know it just yet. She wouldn't have meant it, right? Because she kept blabbering about how bad people throw away their half-eaten pizza, how could she be serious about this?

My desperate mind was just overthinking stuff.

I needed to get her home and fast. I threw a glance at unconscious Dylan and snarled at him before straining my mind as to what could be done next.

Meticulously, trying not to hurt her, I placed her head on my shoulder. I wrapped one arm around her waist and the other, I locked below her knees and lifted her up.

It was crazy how I never imagined there would come a day when I'll be carrying Claire Annesley this way, but it made me feel protective of her and I knew she was safe with me.

I walked out of the party with unhurried movements. Startlingly, I hadn't attracted much attention from anyone since they were all busy drinking or dancing or making out.

I carried her all the way to the empty parking lot, all the while shooting glances at her. Under the bright orange street lights, her face lit up and she was looking as beautiful as ever.

Ignoring my heart that was knocking violently at my ribcage, I removed my hands from below her knees. Carefully holding her with one arm, I opened the car door with another. I placed her on the passenger seat, cautiously secured her with the seatbelt and hopped into the driver's seat.

I turned on the air conditioner and merely watched her for a few minutes, staring at every elegant curve of her face. Flaws? I couldn't find any. She was perfect to me. Her blonde hair strands slipped from her underneath her headband – courtesy of Dylan really. Leaning forward, I tucked her hair behind her ears, away from her face.

Inhaling and exhaling deeply, I started the car.

Getting her inside the house was another arduous task at hand.

I parked the car in my garage, opened the door to my house, ran back to my car and carried her inside the house.

I shot glances here and there, making sure mom hadn't spotted me and made my way upstairs where I gently laid her on my bed. Then I ran back downstairs, locked my car and the door of my house.