Chapter 2.

Free Yourself

You never know. Maybe when we’re dreaming…we’re more lucid than when we are awake. ~ Katherine Angela Yeboah

Why didn't I ask him his name?

I kept asking myself the same question over and over again as I walked to my next class. Why would I start asking him questions about where he was from if I hadn’t even asked for his name? And why would he answer the questions I asked him.

I couldn’t stop thinking of him as I stalked through the corridors to get to my history class. I didn’t even notice Lucie’s presence beside me as we walked together. Even as she said my name a few times trying to get my attention, I still didn’t pay any attention to her yet I then knew she was there.

She is probably thinking that I am daydreaming again as I walk but it isn’t that this time. I am just deep in thought about that one person who I have known for an hour and I so far can’t get him out of my mind. Maybe it was because of the mystery that was behind him. How I didn’t know all that much about him and the fact that I didn’t know his name. That makes me more interested in him.

But then there is always the side where it is because of the fact that there are rarely ever any new people in this area that I live in. There is no army, no marines, just shops and little businesses. Nothing that people would want to come here for to live. There were a lot of holiday makers in the summer because of the surf but they never move here to live.

After a while of me not responding, Lucie did the only thing that she thought was possible to get my attention. This was to bash into my side making my whole body tilt to the side. I had always watched movies and read books where they said that when they fell they went in slow motion. I had never quite believed it until now.

Everything slowed down and I felt my body near the floor. I knew now that there was nothing that I could do to stop the fall but somehow, I thought that if I did something, anything, the impact wouldn’t be as bad. With this thinking, I grabbed the closest things to my reach, my arms wrapping around someone's body. I stopped falling so fast but I could feel myself still dropping down to the floor.

I closed my eyes tightly, scared of falling down. I hoped that if I closed my eyes, it wouldn’t happen somehow and for a second, I thought it might have worked. That was until I felt the body I was clinging onto fall down with me. Within a matter of minutes, we both fell to the ground with a ‘thud’ creating an echo in the almost empty corridor.

I lay on the floor, not wanting to open my eyes to see who this person that I had fallen on was. I knew that with my luck, it would be someone who would make my life a living hell after this incident. So instead of looking at them, I pushed my head into their body and rested myself.

The sweet scent of coffee was clear on the person’s clothes as I nuzzled my face into their body. With that, I jerked my head backwards and opened my eyes to see none other but the boy from my English class, the one I didn’t know the name of.

“I am so sorry!” I apologized hoping that I wouldn’t get on the wrong side of him. In the corner of my eye, I could see Lucie in shock with Kasia standing next to her, giggling like a five year old. I knew right then and there, I was in some big trouble, if not with this guy then with my friends.

I noticed a grin forming on his lips with a quiet chuckle escaping them. He was finding my embarrassment funny, it was entertaining to him. I felt a smile appear on my lips too as I realized that all the worry of this person being annoyed with me vanished. I shook my head from side to side knowing that it couldn’t get better than this.