Chapter 8 A few Questions

Usually in the beginning of a lot of instructional clown books they ask the question, "What is a real clown?"

Then it goes into defining what it is.

What about the comedians? No one can quite agree about if they are clowns or not. Many clowns like to think of a real clown is nothing more than a comedian in a red nose, outlandish costume, and makeup. That is all that separates them is just a matter of dress?Some say the difference between them is the comedian does funny things and the clown does things funny. Personally I think clowns and comedians are very similar but not the same. 

Some define a clown as an altruistic person who brings smiles to all in or out of costume. Then why did you need that great clown look? See? Hypocritical.

I will add the definition of clown other* with an asterisk next to it. Somebody who does balloons, face painting, magic and juggles. (feel free to add other skills to the list) That is essentially describing a party clown.

Some clowns like to say that real clowns don't clown for profit or money.  I really don't get this one. Tell that to all those clowns who get paid. I mean really paid in money and not that "smiles and laughter" nonsense. 

They have all these little sayings about how one becomes a real clown and how they look. If you really want to offend a clown go up to them and say "you are not a real clown you are just a person in a costume" or something like that. They say things like "a clown is a living cartoon character." To me; a cartoon is a cartoon and a person dressed as a clown is a person dressed as a clown. This goes back to the "other worldly-ness" mentioned in a previous chapter. They also have this little saying that goes "Every time a child laughs a clown gets their nose". Which they obviously ripped off from It's a Wonderful Life. (because most clowns don't have an original bone in their bodies) Honestly I hate that clown saying.   

 What is the distinction? Is it self proclamation? Perception? By others? Thinking you are a clown?   

For the sake of this book think of it like this. Do you have a great look? Do you have skills? Can you follow rules? Then you are a real clown. It's that easy there is nothing else to it. Although having a membership to a clown organization will just add to your credibility.   

Or perhaps this is a question you should try and answer, yourself.

Why are some clowns allowed to have a bad look? I get missionary and ministry clowns and the like, but why Shriners? Look I got nothing against the Shriners, but have you seen some of them? Some of those clowns look pretty scary. 

There also seems to be a lot of double standards. For example when clowns wear the mask-like white make up on their face in a mime fashion yet complain about not showing skin. What is that about? When you point that out to them they tend to ignore you. (a makeup job like the clown is wearing in this stock photo)

Why are the clown greats allowed to look like the way they did, but beginner clowns are not? When the first of Mays (that means beginner clown) ask the question "Why?" they are told "Those are the clown greats

Why are the clown greats allowed to look like the way they did, but beginner clowns are not? When the first of Mays (that means beginner clown) ask the question "Why?" they are told "Those are the clown greats. Now, shut up and don't show skin!" Especially when the clowns say that "Many of those we consider clowning greats would not win makeup contests today. Yet they were great entertainers!" Please pick a side clowns you are confusing me! Frosty Little didn't like to wear gloves.