3. Baz

I don't know who Simon is trying to fool. I'm a vampire, I can tell when he's awake. I don't interrupt his brilliant acting though, I just slip into bed and play at the same game. I try to drop off with no success. I keep seeing his face behind my eyelids. I keep seeing his eyes filled with adoration, following my every move. I never thought I would see a look like that on his face, but now I have it's made everything so much more painful. Now I know what I'm missing out on.

***

Niall's mouth is hanging open as he listens to Dev's stories, exposing the soup of bacon, toast, and tea within.

"He was looking at Baz like he was Agatha in her underwear!" Dev laughs.

I turn away distastefully. That's not true. He never looked at his girlfriend of three years that way. He's never looked at anyone that way, unspelled, that I'm aware of.

I take a sip of my tea to disguise the fact that I'm not eating. It doesn't work very well. Anyone who cared enough to look could figure it out. They'd probably just assume I'm anorexic, rather than a vampire; I'm thin enough. That wouldn't be so bad, they'd just, 'Eat a horse' me. I'd take that over getting my teeth ripped out and my wand snapped any day.

I steal a glance at Snow. He's stuffing himself with cherry scones as Bunce garrulously word vomits all over him. He breaks eye contact with the butter dish to look at me. My eyes flick away, as if they'd just been scanning the room, not staring lovingly at the chosen one. When I glance back at him he's still looking at me. I see his curious expression for a second before it turns to one of surprise and embarrassment. Penny's mouth stops running for a second as she looks over in my direction, puzzled. She shoots a question at Snow, to which he responds with blushing and spluttering. I roll my eyes. Use your words, Snow.

"Baz!" I blink and look at Dev. "How'd you manage to cast that spell on Snow? We had to practise it but we just kept flipping each other."

"It's pretty simple really," I say, "I just had to convince myself that I don't hate Snow."

Niall's brow furrows as he digests my words, "But. . . we don't hate each other."

I roll my eyes inwardly, "Then you're all set." I push back my seat and leave. As I walk away I can feel Snow's eyes on me. At least I've got his attention.