Chapter 9: Dinner is Served

Chapter song: Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ignore the strangeness and watch Hermione take out her headphones and listen to music. Taking the cue to leave her alone, Neville turns to me.

"Hey, Harry, we should hang out like you suggested, just not tonight."

A knowing smile turns up the corners of my mouth, "Oh, alright. Tomorrow, then?"

He nodded, smiling a bit, his eyes flicking across my face. I gave 'mione a one-armed hug before going ahead and going back to the common room.

Once inside, I looked through the various bookshelves and noticed a copy of Of Mice and Men and smiled, taking the book to the window seat beside the bookshelf. I leaned by back against a red velvet pillow against the wall and opened the book. A while later, I vaguely registered other people enter the common room. They, however, didn't notice me- I'd pulled the curtain closed, leaving me hidden from everyone else. I ignored the jeering and laughter about nothing in particular, focusing on the tragic story of just getting by.

Half way through the book, I heard everyone come out of the rooms to go to dinner. Once the noise died down and it'd gotten dark, I heard a single pair of footsteps walk, then stop, then come towards me. The curtain was lifted lightly, a small smile gracing the boy's face.

"Hello, Harry, nice to finally meet you."

I close the book and look to my right. A tall boy with short hair and dark eyes smiles at me calmly.

"I'm sorry, who are you?" I ask, a bit embarrassed.

He chuckles, "Oh, sorry, I'm Oliver. Oliver Wood. I'm captain of the soccer team for the G/H house. I saw you at the game, and I saw you that one day at try-outs."

I felt my face turn red instantly, "Oh, lord. You saw that?"

He laughs, shaking his head, "It wasn't that bad. Although, I have seen a cat on TV play soccer in the same manner."

I laugh, "Wow, thanks. I love being compared to cats."

We laugh a bit and he shrugs, "You get back to reading. I'll bring us back some food and we'll eat together. You can tell me about that book."

I nod, "Thanks, Oliver."

He smiles, nodding once before closing the curtain and leaving again. By the time he comes back, I'm almost done with the book, a few pages away from the end. He opens the curtain and smiles, holding out two doggy-bags that smell strongly of meat and salt.

"Dinner is served, my friend."

I get down from the perch, noting my place and sitting on the couch beside him. He opens the bag to reveal two Philly Cheese Steaks, fries, and two water bottles. I almost want to hug the guy, I haven't had this kind of fine dining in years.

"Whoa, thanks!" I say gratefully, starting to eat.

I finish a bit after him and he finishes off his water slowly, waiting for me to finish.

When I do, he inquires about the book, "Do you like it?"

I nod, "Yeah, I've been wanting to read it."

He nods, looking at the book, "It's a pretty deep book, even though it may not seem like it."

I nod my head slowly when people start filing in, he stands with a smile.