The Vampire Slayer

• Dedicated to trissa dawn clavel

Introduction

Do Vampires really exist? If they do, where are they?

Hiding..?

Probably...

But from whom?

I loved  vampire stories and as a matter of fact, I already have quite a collection of vampire stuffs.:)

Do you also love reading about those stuffs? Were even then.

Okay, let’s admit it. Vampires are whoah!

Sizzling HOT!

Not in the real sense of word since they’re known to be an icy corpse but in the sense that they are “irresistibly attractive”.

There are vampire films, vampire TV shows, and tons of vampire novels on the shelves that some book stores now give them their own special section. There are vampire bands, vampire styles, vampire internet forums and journals, and even a fringe subculture of people claiming that they drink blood . But where did it all originated ? (well, I kind of researched ‘bout that too.^.^)

First, let’s look into the vampire’s origin in the ancient tales of myth, for in this form, Edward Cullens ancestors are very, very old indeed. Although the word “vampire” derives from the legends and folk beliefs of the Slavic people, vampirelike creatures can be found in  the oldest stories of culture all around the globe. Blood sucking spirits of various kinds populated the early legends of Assyria and Babylonia, for example. Some of these foul creatures were human in origin: they were the souls of the restless dead, condemned by a violent death or improper burial to haunt the lands where they once dwelled. Others were supernatural such as Lilitu, whose tales were once known throughout Mesopotamia. Lilitu had been a sacred figure in Sumerian goddess  mythology, but over time she developed into a fearsome demon, famous for seducing and devouring men. Hungering insatiably for the blood of infants (especially those of noble lineage), she prowled at night in the form of screech owl, hunting down her next victim. 

Likewise, the vampires of central and South America were usually female figures.

Sometimes dangerously seductive, and sometimes birdlike and hideous, they were generally the ghosts of women who had died childless, or in childbirth, and who now haunted the landscape thirsting for the blood of living children.

Many of the tribes of Africa also had stories about vampire like being with a perchant of blood that was young and fresh.

The adze, in the tales of Ewe tribe, could appear in the form of the firefly or as misshapen human with jet-black skin. It lived on palm oil and human blood; the younger it’s victim, the better.

The Obayifo , in Ashanti tales, was a malevolent spirit who inhabited the bodies of seemingly ordinary men and women, causing them to hunger obsessively for the blood of children.

They hunted at night, when they could be detected by the phosphorescent glow from their anuses and armpits.

The ghul, a particularly nasty vampiric demon in old Arabian tales, was a shape-shifter who dwelled in the desserts and preyed upon travellers.

The ghul robbed and slayed it’s victim, drunk his blood, feasted  on his rotting corpse, and then took on the dead man’s appearance as it lay in wait for its next meal. In India, cemeteries were the haunts of all manner of vampiric spirits who preyed upon the living; they were the malevolent souls of those buried without the proper funeral  rites.

China, too, had an extensive tradition of revenants caused by improper burial procedures; the ghosts created in this manner ranged from deadly blood sucking, flesh-eating creatures to those who were merely melancholic and annoying.

Rice, not garlic, was the most effective means of keeping Chinese vampires at bay, for they had a strange compulsion to count.

Throwing rice to the ghosts compelled it to stop; it would not move again until each grain was counted.

Russia and Slavic- language countries of Eastern Europe had the highest concentration of vampire tales of any region of the world, but other kinds of blood sucking beings were not unknown in the rest of Europe.

Seductive bird-woman (similar to Lilitu) who seduced unwary men, drank the blood of babies, and practiced all manner of witchery.

The mullo of romany gypsy tales was the animated corpse of a man and woman who had died violently and unavenged ( or, again, without a proper burial). There were stories in which the mullo lived undetected for a span of years and even married, but always some strange aspect of his behaviour would eventually give the game away.

The strighe and stregoni of Italy where sorcerers ingested human blood to enhance their powers in the working of a black magic. They also sucked the life essence out of crops and animals and were greatly feared. Italy was unusual in having tales about good vampires as well: the stregoni benefici, who worked white magic, assisted in funerary rites and protected the populace from the harm caused by their more malevolent kin.

That reminds me of the work of Richelle Mead. The series of The Vampire Academy. I actually has a plan of collecting the stuff.(^.^ I’m addicted to it! hehe!). Richelle Mead is my favourite author. I loved her works. Not that I had read it all but I'm actually planning to.. 

So, as mentioned earlier, I already had introduced to you the origin of the vampires. Most of them are deadly and are feared by people. That is why groups of humans arise to slay deadly vampires. And here comes my story! ^.^

Yzxaplemarie

-the vampire slayer-