Chapter I

Chapter one

I remember how my life use to be. I remember what life was like before the wars came, before Doll’s ever existed. I remember before people became slaves. The one thing I wish for most though… is freedom. I want to be human again.

My name is Damien Vincent, or atleast that’s who I use to be. Now I’m just DOLL NO. 1. I don’t even know why I signed up for this shit, but all I’m worried about is escaping this god damn place. I’m not the only one locked up in here though, there’s also Lois, Kuja and Kura, Angel and Able.  Each of us has powers, like Lois, he can move things with his mind, Kuja and Kura are twins and they can read minds. Angel can see the future, but he’s blind. And able can heal. But me, I’m meant for warfare, so I’m an extremely skilled fighter. We all have one thing in common though, we all dream of leaving this place.

 I remember all of the doctors’ attempts of making the Dolls, but we were the only successful outcomes, but society saw us as a threat, even though we kinda were, and locked us up. We are doomed for death now. Even though we are immortal doesn’t me we can’t be shot and killed, it just means if we are safe, we will never age or die. It’s kinda like the Holocaust. We are doomed to be either shot down or cremated. Back when I was human, I remember learning about all of that. It was truly gross. It made me wonder why people would do such a thing, putting the hopeless and starving in camps, and working them and torturing them to death. It felt as if they were doing that to us. The nurses would treat us like animals, but we weren’t allowed out of the cages we were kept in. we were to sit an await death. They didn’t even feed us. I don’t know what we had done to deserve this. Humanity is just too cruel.

Angel was sitting in a corner all quiet like, his eyes blank. IT was funny, because when I first met angel, I could have sworn he was a girl. HE had very long curly blonde hair and a feminine body.

Lois scooted as close to him as he could, his cage was right next to his, and questioned him. “Angel, what do you see?”

“I don’t see any future for us.” He sighed, tears welling up in his eyes.

“That’s bullshit!” I shouted. “We are going to get out of here if it’s the last thing I do!” I cried.

Able reached through the bars of my cage and touched my arm gently. “Damien, calm down.” He said with his extremely smooth voice.

I looked back at him, his blonde hair was in his face, and he had scraps under his eyes, probably from where the boss beat him. I sighed.

Kuja and Kura were cradling in a corner. Kura was older than Kuja, but the only way you could really tell them apart aside from Kura being taller is that Kuja has brown hair and Kura had darker almost black hair. Kuja was crying, and I didn’t need to ask why. It was hopeless to escape. But I was happy for them. Atleast they could die together, die with someone you love. But something made me angry at them. They didn’t even try to escape, they just accepted fate.

“KUJA! You’re such a cry baby! All you do is whine when you could be helping us!” I snapped. Everyone shot a glare at me.

“Shut up Damien! We can’t help that there is nothing in this world or no one to help us!” snapped Kura.

Angle was crying now, we all were. But Able sat silently. Staring into space.  Then the doors opened with a man in a gas mask filling the frame. He was very tall, and scary, knowing what he was here to do.

“Looks like it’s time for you to go Damien.” He snickered.

I scowled at him.

“Brat.” He muttered.

He walked closer; he had a collar with a chain tied around it. I knew it was meant to go around my neck. They were too afraid of me, so I was always put on a collar. I’m not just some dog.

I had to come up with a plan quickly. I felt it inside that we could escape. I just knew it. I saw the keys jingle around his belt, and if I could just get the off and off to Kura, we would be out. Kura was the strongest. He could take down any person or thing, very surprising for his young age.  

I shot Kura a look, and he read what I was thinking. He shook his head no, but he knew this was our only chance now. We could escape.

The man opened my door, slowly reaching in and grabbing my hair. I winced in pain, but this was my opportunity, the keys were right in my face. I took my chances and then blanked out. The next thing I knew was the I was up against the wall, but I was thrown here, the man was on the ground, Kura pounding him into a pulp, the rest of the gang getting out of their cages. I hurried up from the ground, rushing over to help Kura.

Once the man was knocked out, we had atleast 2 minutes to get out of there. And I knew exactly where to go. I had been waiting my whole life for this, and now it was happening.

We all rushed down the hallway, Kuja kept sending me thoughts, telling me this wasn’t going to work and that we were going to die, but I shook them off.  It was all happening so fast; I didn’t think my heart could take it. We were free. I just knew it.