twenty two

jieun had requested to take over the kitchen shift for the next few weeks. she couldn't watch as jungkook came in every day and flirted with soyeon in front of her.

jaebum was worried for jieun's wellbeing. he knew how much she disliked being in the kitchen because of the heat and the dangerous kitchen tools.

"don't worry," she'd assure him. "i'm fine."

he couldn't help but worry for her.

◇       ◇       ◇

"hey,"

soyeon looked up at the new voice. "oh. hi, jungkook." she smiled. she looked back down at the table and continued clearing it.

"how are you?" he asked, sitting down in front of where she was working.

"good. you?"

"fantastic." he smiled. "any plans after work?"

"i was gonna go to the new restaurant near my school with jieun. why?"

jungkook deflated. "no reason."

jieun stepped out of the kitchen with her arms full of trays with the pastries for the day.

"e-excuse me!" she shrieked as she walked, warning those in front of her that she couldn't see.

"who's this jieun person you keep mentioning?"

jieun almost tripped at the familiar voice, but a hand held her steady and took a few trays from the top of her pile.

"whoa, take it easy." jaebum laughed. jieun's cheeks burned from embarrassment. she should've known he'd be here. he's been coming at this time everyday for the past three weeks.

"thanks, jaebum." she smiled, proceeding to put the pastries in the display shelves.

"how's everything? kitchen duty's not too hard?" he asked, putting away his respective pastries.

she shook her head. "nothing i can't handle."

"that's my girl," jaebum said, ruffling the hair on top of her head.

soyeon watched their exchange with a look of sadness in her eyes.

"are you okay?" jungkook asked.

she nodded her head.

"sort of."