☆17☆

Nari's fingers played over the keys and notes came together to make a song.  Her heart felt a bit strange though.  She'd had a long day for sure.  Lots had happened today.  Perhaps all the activity and excitement contributed to her music feeling lifeless and dull to her today.  Her mind was spinning so fast as she jumped from thought to thought, all while keeping customers' ears filled with music while they drank their coffee.

Why had Jun left? 

Why was Minnie avoiding the issue? 

What was she going to play for this upcoming recital?

She stopped for her break and walked back to the kitchen to grab a cup of tea before continuing.  She stirred it slowly, adding a little sugar to sweeten the bitter taste.   She stared into the brown liquid and let her thought process go its own way.

A man at a table nearby watched the pianist carefully.  He had heard her play before but tonight was different.  The songs were a bit slower and sometimes a bit sadder in sound.  He nibbled at his sandwich he really shouldn't have ordered for as late in the evening as it was.  Jungkook would just tell me to eat it and stop caring about my weight... He reluctantly took a bite and chewed it slowly as he tried to be casual in his observation of the pianist. 

Nari's brows were growing closer together the longer she thought.  Her short break was soon over and she walked her teacup up to the counter and then returned to the piano bench.  She sighed deeply and began to play again, her mental turmoil trickling down through her fingers. 

Jimin watched silently from the side booth, keeping his phone out to look inconspicuous.  He watched as an older lady came out to the tables and sat down, her back to him.  She watched Nari play and she seemed to be studying her closely.  He pulled his coat up over the bottom part of his face as he watched from behind a pair of glasses. 

Nari stopped playing a little before eight.  She felt an overwhelming sense of sadness sweep over her and she couldn't explain why.  She looked around and saw Minnie viewing her with a smile.  The older woman nodded slowly and then patted the empty spot across from her.  Nari nodded slightly and covered the piano keys with the red felt.  The few people still in the coffee shop applauded lightly as they always did when she stopped playing for the night. 

Nari walked over to the table and sat down, a heavy sigh escaping her lips.  "Minnie, I'm not feeling it tonight." 

Minnie nodded.  "I can tell.  What's bothering you?"

Jimin's ears perked up as he eavesdropped from his seat.  They were only two tables away so he could hear them if he listened really close. 

"Me?  Ah, it's been a long day.  I sent my mom and sister home this morning.  I miss them, I think.  Perhaps I'm finally feeling a bit homesick."  Her voice quivered slightly and she cleared her throat to gain control once more.  "I can sense something happened right before I got here tonight.  Jun left and you won't talk about it.  I'm not trying to pry, but is everything okay between you two?"

Minnie smiled sadly and nodded.  "Yes.  He and I are good.  He's worked for me for a long time.  Most of the time he feels like my own child.  We work out our disagreements fairly quickly.  So no worries there.  Also, if you get too homesick you can always come visit me.  I promise to treat you just like your mom would.  I'll feed you home cooked food, harp at you about your grades, and bother you about your health."  She laughed and it was a beautiful sound to Nari at that moment.  "What else is going on?"

Nari sighed and played with the salt and pepper shakers on the table.  "I have a recital for school coming up in two weeks.  I don't think my family will be able to come for one thing.  The other thing is I have no idea what to play.  It's one-fourth of my grade so there's a lot of pressure on me to pick something good."