Blood & Water

Chapter Twenty-Five

Blood & Water

I pack up my desk and prepare to leave for the day from the café.

Things are starting to look up, for the past two weeks, I've assigned myself back into the kitchen, rolling pastries and whipping cake mix.

It's a little difficult juggling that part of it with the paperwork, but I'm the happiest I've ever been.

I'm back in my element, no matter how exhausting it is, I love it with every piece if me.

I put my files in a brief case and I head out, bidding the crew goodnight.

I make my way to the counter where Paula is busily taking orders.

I contemplate for a moment whether I should ask about her relationship with Des at Benny's barbecue yesterday or if I should just pretend like it's no big deal.

Things aren't weird between us anymore, but our relationship definitely isn't like what it was before Desirae.

My curiosity gets the best of me.

"Done for the day?" she asks when I approach as she makes a few cups of coffee.

"Yeah. Listen, there's something I need to ask you."

"Fire away."

"What made you finally see the light with Desirae?"

Her smile fades a little and she struggles to make eye contact with me.

"Honestly," she breathes, "I thought she was dangerous. A heartbreaker. But... I realised that... she's actually very sweet. That day when she brought her paintings here? I heard you two chatting... I heard her speak so respectfully and fairly of me even after the shit I'd put her through."

This is the rawest I've seen Paula. She reminds me so much of my younger self. She puts up a tough front to protect herself and everyone she loves from pain.

"I tried for weeks after that to apologise and build bridges. To speak my piece and explain why I was the way I was. But y'know understandably, she kept her distance,"

"I had no idea," I breathe.

"Good. I didn't want to involve you and I'm glad she didn't. And then she got ill and the guilt consumed me. I visited her at the hospital and we spoke. We became civil. And now here we are," she smiles.

I don't know what to say to that. I feel a little disappointed that I wasn't the one to bring them both together, but I guess I can't always be the one fixing other people's problems; no matter how much I care for them.

"I just wish I'd done things differently, because she's honestly a sweet girl. But... I've ruined that possibility of ever becoming 'best friends,'" she smiles sadly.

I once again don't know what to say. I don't blame Desirae choosing to keep her distance from Paula and only associate with her because of me, but on the other hand, I know where Paula is coming from.

"I'm so sorry Chris. For... saying what I said, for doing what I did... all of it,"

"You were just being you," I smile, "over-protective Paula."

She smiles sadly.

"Don't be so hard on yourself P, Des doesn't hold grudges and neither do I... you were just afraid of losing me."

"I wasn't. I was afraid that you would lose sight of yourself Chris."

"There was never a need to fear that. Desirae makes me feel more like myself than anyone ever has."