XXXIV.

"What happened?"

I shake my head, incapable of answering such a simple question. I can't think about anything right now. I just want to go back home and curl on the bed and not think about a single thing, although I know this evening is going to haunt me.

Just like that fateful evening has been haunting me for years.

"Gabrielle," Alexander says.

I shake my head again as a single tear falls down my cheek and drops somewhere on my clothes.

"What did he do to you?" he insists to know.

I don't even know why it would be important to him. I don't even know why he was there in the first place, but I swear I've never been more grateful to see him.

I thought he came there to hurt me at first. Or to finish what Ryder started.

But he didn't. He saved me. The guy I often needed saving from is the one who saved me this time. How ironic.

"And what the fuck did you mean by this being the second time?" Alexander's getting frustrated, I can hear it in his voice. I can hear how fast he says the words and how dark his voice got.

I stay mute, staring out of the window, physically and mentally incapable of moving an inch. I can't even bring myself to open my mouth to answer Alexander, let alone move my head to look at him. I feel disgusted. Used. For the second time in my life.

"Fuck, Gabrielle!" Alexander suddenly shouts, punching the steering wheel.

I jump up on my seat in fear, letting out a small yelp as I go as close to the window as I can, my body trembling in fear.

"Fucking shit!" He punches the steering wheel two more times before he suddenly steps on the brakes and stops the car. In the middle of the road.

Panic starts rising inside my body, my heart is starting to beat faster. I'm prepared to open the door and run away if I have to.

"You're making me insane," Alexander says. And then he opens his door and steps out, slamming the door behind him, making me jump up again.

I stare at him, wondering what he's going to do. My hand is already resting on the handle, ready to pull it. But he just stands outside in the cool for moments, raking his hands through his hair and kicking the air with his feet.

And then he starts walking to my side in a fast pace. He opens my door before I can react and kneels in front of me.

I sit there, immobile, not even breathing anymore. There's such a huge lump of fear in my throat that it's starting to choke me.

But Alexander completely surprises me for I don't know which time tonight when he puts his hands on my face and brings his face closer, reflecting the pain that must show on mine.