Chapter 5 - LABoruff

This chapter was written by LABoruff

Sean

The cheap pen broke apart when it hit the wall, thrown from my frustrated fist. I sighed and leaned back in my chair, ready to toss all the paperwork in the trash and call it a day. I became a doctor to help people, to heal people. Not to fill out endless paperwork!

There was no avoiding it though, so I slogged through the rest of the forms before I ended up spending another night in my office, sleeping on the exam table. My comfy, squishy, snuggly bed called to me from across the campus. "Sean!" it cried, "I'm waiting on you!"

"I'm coming, Bed-inda!" Geez, Sean, you do need sleep. You're calling out to your bed... and you named her.

I filed everything that needed to be filed, and left the rest of the mess for the next day. On such a small campus I was doctor, nurse, and front desk attendant. The only thing I didn't have to do was deep clean the clinic.

As I reached to turn out the lights, I sighed and turned back to finish straightening up the office. I just couldn't leave it. I made quick work of the mess and headed out.

The bag of garbage in my hand bumped against my leg as I walked toward the dumpster behind my dorm building. I thought longingly about a relaxing shower before sliding between my crisp sheets. The campus was dark and quiet—peaceful—as I walked the footpath between the buildings. The humidity in the air caused beads of sweat to pop up on my brow.

The smell of garbage, baked all day in the South Carolina heat, greeted me at the dumpster. I looked forward to autumn, sweaters, apple pie, and to saying goodbye to this heat. Mmmm, apple pie. I bet I can get Miss Lori to let me have pie for breakfast. Why wait for fall?

I skipped the elevator and jogged up the two flights of stairs to my floor. I was already hot and sweaty, might as well get the extra steps in before my shower. My room was gloriously cool when I grabbed my robe and shower bag full of toiletries. Stripping to my stethoscope covered boxers—a gift from a friend—I headed out to wash the day away.

I could hear a shower running as I stepped into the steamy bathroom. I set out my toiletries around the sink and brushed my teeth, humming. My mind was on my schedule for the following day. It was sure to be a bit boring; with school out and so many people gone, my services weren't in demand.

Teeth cleaned, I grabbed my robe, citrus shampoo, and ginger body wash, made for me by the friend that gave me the boxers. I stopped short when I turned the corner to the showers. A woman—a tiny, naked woman—was standing in front of one of the shower stalls, staring at the running water through the doorway.

My chest tightened, and I forced myself not to stare at her perfect backside. I couldn't avoid noticing several scars on her back before I jerked my eyes to the ceiling tiles and cleared my throat. I was forced to look at her again when I heard a squeak, followed by a more strangled yelp, then a thump.

The stunning creature was splayed out on the floor, struggling to sit up and cover her private areas. I averted my eyes from the places I shouldn't look and instead, looked at her limbs and head, checking for injuries as I ran over to her.

"Are you alright, miss? I'm so sorry I scared you." I grabbed the towel hanging on a peg beside the shower stall so she could regain some modesty. Her eyes were wide; she looked terrified.

I backed away and held my hands up to show I meant her no harm. "My name is Sean. I really didn't mean to scare you. When I heard the shower going, I assumed one of the guys was in here. We haven't had a lady here in ages." I inched closer to her, drawn in by her vulnerable eyes.