Fear

"No!" Cami screamed. "I refuse to believe that you just happen to know that!"

In frustration, I saw her suddenly tip over Elijah's glass, spilling bourbon all over his left sleeve. Elijah looked weary as he raised his hand from where it originally was resting on my knee. I grabbed a napkin from the coffee table and handed it to him.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Elijah." Cami laughed.

As he began to pat his forearm dry, a scowl formed on his lips.

"Okay, who would-" Cami began reading off another card but trailed off when she noticed Elijah angrily wiping his shirt with the napkin. "Elijah? Hey, are you okay?" Elijah continued to try to erase the stain from his forearm and Cami and I exchanged worried glances. "Hey, Elijah-"

As Cami reached forward to place a hand on his knee, Elijah caught her wrist, causing her to jump in shock, a hint of fear crossing her face. Elijah stared at her with a scowl, before releasing his hold on her and sitting up straight.

"I'm not as fragile as my brother suggests."

Cami didn't reply, but instead stared at him with wide eyes. When Elijah's cell phone rang, he quickly stood, walking away to answer the call. I let out the breath that I had been holding in since he lashed out, and Cami's gaze drifted to me.

"Esther really did a number on him, didn't she?"

"I wouldn't know." I replied quietly. "He hasn't spoken to me about the matter since Klaus brought him home."

"He hasn't told you anything?" Cami asked. "But you're his girlfriend. I thought you would be the first person he would've talked to."

"As did I." My breathing slowed. "But apparently, everything is difficult to share, even with loved ones. Those are the Mikaelson ways. You would've thought I'd get used to it by now."

"I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry." I reached across the table to gently grasp her forearm. "Did he hurt you?"

"No, it was just a little pressure. I was more surprised than harmed."

"Good. I don't know what he would've done if he hurt you. Elijah is not the kind of man that's cruel to those who don't deserve it. I'm sure after the time you've spent with the family, you know that already."

"I do. I just wish he would talk to someone about it. He seems to be having an internal battle and most of the time, it helps to discuss it with an outside source."

"You are a psychologist, but Elijah is not one to open up easily. Trust me, I've tried to get him to do so more times than I can count."

"I've never seen him like this. It's kind of terrifying."

"I haven't either, but I believe it was just a spout of anger. It's probably nothing more."

"Let's hope so."

"I'm going to go check on him." I spoke quietly, pushing myself out of the chair and walking out of the room.

I found Elijah in the living room, staring out the window, his body standing stiffly. Suddenly, he let out a rushed breath, almost as if he was holding it in for some time. I took a step into the room and he slightly turned his head, indicating that he knew I was there.