Chapter 4: Welcome Changes

Our footsteps echoed in the empty hallways as we made our way to the dorm building. The school hadn't changed much at all: the same pristine white floors, the same eccentric classrooms. Nothing had changed, and yet... it felt like everything had. Where before, the Haven had been as normal as a high school for superheroes could get, the lightheartedness of last year had been replaced with an air of grim anticipation.

"It feels so... different." I voiced.

Anita simply nodded. "Like I've been saying: last year changed a lot. We all were forced to grow up quite a bit after what happened." I wondered when I would stop being surprised when something was different than before.

"Ever since Ben... left us-" she continued.

"Died." I interrupted, feeling the stone which had replaced my heart that day crack a little. "Just say it like it is. He died. Avoiding the words won't change what happened, and you're not protecting my feelings. I've come to terms with that much, at least."

We continued on towards the dorm rooms in silence, Anita stunned by my correction. I had been a bit harsh, I admitted to myself. "Sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

Anita shook her head. "No, you're right. I should come to terms with what really happened."

Something in her tone distracted me- like we somehow weren't talking about the same things. I looked at- really looked at- the face of my best friend, and noticed a change in her expressions. She was more guarded now, as though she was being constantly cautious not to say something she shouldn't. Was it because of me? I wondered. Am I so different that she feels the need to walk on eggshells around me?

Before I could make a comment, we had reached the dorm building. When we arrived at our old room, I was pleasantly surprised to see one thing, at least, had remained completely unchanged. The same two single beds were pushed against opposite walls of the room, with matching white comforters. Two wooden desks still stood against the wall on either side of the door, our pens and pencils still scattered across them just as we had left them. The closet doors stood wide open, and clothes were piled on the floor where I could tell Anita had packed hastily. Most of my clothes still hung in the closet. On the left wall, a door led to the white tiled bathroom.

Standing in the middle of the room was a stout, middle aged woman with a tape measure and a clipboard. "Good, you're here. Put your arms up and hold still," she ordered, not bothering to introduce herself. I did as I was told as she swiftly took my measurements with speed that could only be superhuman. She was finished in seconds, and after writing down my measurements said tersely, "It will be in your closet by lunch tomorrow." With that she bustled out of the room, no doubt with a busy schedule.

Once she left, Anita and I began unpacking. I hung up the clothes in my backpack, having washed them in my camp before Anita showed up, and offered the backpack back to Anita. "Keep it," she instructed. "I got a new one." I nodded and stowed the pack under my bed.

"Where's Violet?" I asked, realizing the cat I had given to Anita wasn't prowling the room.

"Ms. Wren is taking care of her for me right now, since I was away too much to do a good job. She'll probably return her tomorrow." I nodded, again fighting the constant guilt in the pit of my stomach. Even in trying to protect them, I had only caused them hassle.

I finished unpacking before Anita and sat on my bed, surveying the room. Suddenly, I was recalling a very different room, with beige walls and pale blue bedding, a tall bookshelf that was fully stocked, and a window overlooking a tidy backyard. I shook off the memory. Dwelling on the past wouldn't do me any good.