Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Six

"It is certain, in any case, that ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have."

James A. Baldwin

"If I ever end up like that, you have to promise to off me."

Claire snorted. "I'm not offing my best friend."

"Why not?" Savannah gestured with the slim black remote at the TV. "Look with your eyes, Claire! These people are insane."

"They're a bit misguided, but—"

"No. They're crazy. And if I ever get addicted to something like shoe polish or plaster, just kill me. It can be quick—a knife to the throat, or one of these fancy throw pillows Theresa has will do the trick."

Claire couldn't help the wince that came when the thought of killing Savannah, even as a joke, came up. Death of any kind had been a sore spot for her ever since the run-in with Justin. "I don't think Theresa would appreciate me using one of her expensive throw pillows to kill you."

"Who are we killing?" Marcus asked as he walked into the den. He took in their blanket fort, the pile of Hershey's Kisses wrappers strewn about, and the almost empty popcorn bowl, and stopped. "Is this a bad time?"

Savannah, who still somehow looked adorable even with her hair piled crazily on top of her head, tilted her head back to look at the Beta. "Ah, Marcus, you're just in time. Want to watch My Strange Addiction with us?"

"Uh..."

Savannah's eyes lit up behind her glasses and she smacked Claire on the arm. "Ow!"

"Oh, shush. You're a wolf, suck it up," she said to Claire. "I bet Marcus would do it."

A wary expression crossed his face. "Depends. Last time I told you I'd do something without knowing the details, you had me help pick out a nail polish color."

Savannah rolled her eyes. "You make it sound like I dug your fingernails out."

Claire had a feeling she knew where this was going. Still, she asked, "What happened?"

Marcus held his hand tight to his chest. "She said she didn't know what it'd look like on, and since paper apparently wasn't good enough, she made me try it on."

Savannah wiggled her eyebrows, "You loved it."

Claire laughed.

"Took me forever to get it off," Marcus mumbled, rubbing at his hand.

"Chicken."

"What were your plans for the rest of today, Marcus?" Claire asked.

Marcus slumped into the armchair in the corner, resting his arms along the back. "Well, I have to finish the audit on Adam, and then get a report on the Guards' settlement."

She tried not to flinch at Adam's name. A while back, Adam had been the one who'd refused to fund Claire's family. The pack had a large sum of money put away for pack families in need. Each member with a full-time job gave 10% of their earnings to the pool so that it wasn't just a few people donating. It was kind of like a tithe or tax. Either way, Adam refused to give her family money when they needed it. It'd put them in a bad situation.

"It's five thirty." Savannah frowned. "Why don't you call it a day?"

"Unfortunately, some of us have to take work home with them."

"What if I command you to take the rest of the day off?" Claire offered.

Marcus winked. "I suppose then I'd have to relax. Can't ignore a command from the Luna."

Claire held back a grin. Meanwhile, Savannah threw a popcorn kernel at him. It hit his chest square on. He frowned down at it, then over at Savannah. "That's assault."

"Bite me."

"Don't tempt me," Marcus said with an intensity Claire did not expect. It was deep, focused, and almost made her body temperature spike. Almost.

Savannah lost her cool smirk for a moment and gave a small shiver.

Weird. Before Claire could give that attention, the doorbell rang.

Savannah popped up. "That's probably the pizza." She jogged to the door.

"What kind of pizza did you order?" Marcus asked Claire.

She shrugged. "Savannah wouldn't tell me. Said it was a surprise."

He groaned. "Pineapple. That means she got pineapple."

"I actually don't mind pineapple."

"What kind of creature are you?"

Claire lobbed another kernel at him.

A shriek sliced through the air, making Claire flinch. Claire and Marcus bolted to the door, Marcus in front. Savannah had the door open, her hands over her mouth. Her body shook, unsteady.

Marcus moved Savannah to the side, looked at the ground, then pushed them both back. "Go back to the living room."

"Marcus, what—" Claire tried to push past. There was something on the doorstep. Something terrible he didn't want them to see.

Then, the tension in him and the way he flicked his gaze to her again—making sure she went back to the living room—told her he didn't want her to see. Her gut churned. She had to see it. Had to.

"Marcus, move."

Marcus turned and closed the door, keeping it at his back. "No."

"Marcus," she growled, letting her dominance leak through. He struggled, his shoulders coming down, but stayed strong. Savannah whimpered and dropped to a knee. "Move."

"I can't, Claire." He shook his head slowly. "Don't do it. Don't make me move."

She had to know. Her wolf was curious, impatient, and sensed...something. Something behind that door that would impact her.

"Just leave it," he tried. "Let's go back to the living room."

"I won't live with ignorance. I won't be blind to what's happening. That's not a good Luna."

"Dammit, Claire—"

"Move," her wolf growled, and for just a moment, she let the dominance fully through. Like an invisible ceiling collapsing, Marcus and Savannah stumbled to the floor. Marcus shook under the weight, his cheek pressed to the cool tile.

There was movement behind them—someone coming onto the scene. "What is going on?" Gabe asked. But Claire was already opening the door.

On the front porch, right on the welcome mat, were two lifeless rabbits. Their stomachs had been torn open, the intestines leaking out, and nothing behind their eyes. Blood was everywhere—along the gray wood, coated into the fur, seeping into the welcome mat.

And above them, written in blood, was Claire's name.  

icon lock

Show your support for Cayleigh, and continue reading this story

by Cayleigh
@CayleighKennedy
Just when Claire and Nate think the greatest danger has passed, an an...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 30 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @CayleighKennedy.