Courtyard Confessions

We walked for nearly fifteen minutes before we reached the west courtyard on the edge of Chilton grounds, taking a look around I sighed contently before walking over and taking a seat on a large boulder. "This is another one of my favorite spots in town."

Josh cocked a brow before walking over and taking a seat on the boulder beside me. "And why is that?"

"My dad was a professor here at Chilton, this was his favorite spot on campus. I remember my mom and I used to walk here and meet him for lunch when I was little. In the spring this whole area smells like wild honeysuckle and these big patches of purple wildflowers my mom called Sweet Williams...it's amazing." I sighed and pulled my coat closer to my body willing away the cold night air.

"Sounds beautiful," Josh said taking off his coat before draping it around my shoulders.

"You are going to freeze," I said shaking my head as I attempted to deny his coat, he persistently tugged it from my grasp before placing it back on my shoulders.

"I'm fine...you take it, I insist."

"And I insist you put your coat back on," I argued.

"Are you always so stubborn?" Josh said shooting me a smile.

"Are you always so persistent to get your way?" I countered.

"I'm a spoiled rich kid...what's your excuse?" he questioned with a smirk.

"I grew up with three older brothers...I've always had to fight for what I want," I answered pointedly, "so...how is it that you are so rich anyway? Old money? New Money?"

"You went from arguing over a coat to asking me about money in two seconds flat." Josh teased.

I shrugged turning toward him on the boulder and pulling knees to my chest, "I just don't know that much about you...I feel like I am always telling you about me."

"Fair enough," Josh mused, "Let's just say I come from all kinds of money...lots of old...and lots of new."

"What does your dad do?"

"You mean besides drink and knock me around and tell me what a disappointment I am?" Josh joked.

I bit my lip regretting my question. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to..."

"No, I'm sorry," Josh said rubbing the back of his neck nervously, "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, he and I just don't get along that's all...my dad is an orthopedic surgeon."

"Does an orthopedic surgeon make that much?"

Josh cocked a brow, "Not really, about 600-700 a year but it's just his day job, he is also president CEO of Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey."

"I'm almost afraid to ask how much that job makes, if you consider 600-700 thousand to be not that much." I said already mentally planning to become an orthopedic surgeon.

"It's millions," he said simply.

"Wow...ok so I was sitting here planning to become an orthopedic surgeon after you disclosed that it brings in around 700 thousand a year but I change my mind...I like millions more."

"Money won't make you happy," Josh said sadly, "in fact, in my experience the more you have, the harder it is to be happy."

"Why do you say that?" I questioned confused.

Josh shrugged, "You get all this money so you can have control over your life...buy whatever you want, go wherever you want, do whatever you want but the money just ends up controlling you."

"Only if you let it..." I countered giving Josh a small smile.

He nodded and returned the smile, "I guess you are right."