Prom: A Night to Remember

I was sitting alone in the corner of the large ball room, watching pairs cross the dance floor. All the different colors of prom dresses mixed together as they swayed to the slow country song the DJ was playing. The snack table was slowly diminishing as hungry dancers came in for a little bite to eat. Above them, lights were shining as they stayed wrapped around the multicolor balloon arches. 

I shrunk back into the corner until my chair hit the wall. I just wanted to stay here until it was over. Nobody will even notice me because nobody ever does. I thought coming here would be a great time to spend my last few moments of high school, but what I didn't realize was that I couldn't do the one thing Prom was meant for; Dancing.

I shouldn't have come. I don't even know what I was thinking showing up to Prom, especially without a date. Prom isn't like Spring Fling or Winter Formal, you can't just show up without a date. 

All the same, I never went to Winter Formal or Spring Fling. That's one reason why my mom was so hell bent on going to Prom. 

"Abigail," She had said to me. "I think you should go. I've never asked you to do something for me, but I'm asking you now. Please go. I want to dress you up. I'll buy you a new dress and shoes. You'll look even more stunning than usual. Who knows, you may have a great time."

I've heard that line millions of times since January. So after five months of begging, my mom finally got what she wants. 

However, I didn't feel stunning, or beautiful, or gorgeous. I felt like Abigail Martin, The Girl in the Wheelchair. That's what everyone knows me as.

Ever since the car accident that left me paralyzed from the waist down, everyone backed off. They didn't avoid me; it was more like they knew I was there but didn't know how to approach me.

I didn't blame them. 

How do you approach someone who can't walk for the rest of their life, all while you're standing on your two feet?

I had acquaintances, but never friends. It was hard trying to make plans with people to hang out because once they realized my wheelchair didn't fit in their truck or car, they gave up, saying "Maybe some other time, Abby."

There was never another time.

With a loud sigh, I pushed myself from the corner of the room and made my way to the snack table. I had been eyeing that chocolate fountain the whole time and figured if I was here I might as well mingle with the other prom goers who would rather stuff their faces than dance.

I noticed a group of guys were standing near the table, talking loudly while drinking Fruit Punch.

I picked up a wooden stick and stabbed it into a fresh strawberry. As I was about to dip it into the chocolate fountain, someone tapped my shoulder.

With the stick in hand, I turned my chair, facing the person who tapped me. 

My eyes widened when I saw Kevin Parker standing there. I had Kevin in my Chemistry class my junior year, I've talked to him once and from what I could tell, he seems like a decent guy.

"You look really beautiful tonight," He said nodding towards my dress.

I looked down at my prom dress. It was definitely a big jump from my usual shorts and a T-shirt. The dress was strapless, light blue that flowed down to my knees. The front of the dress was shorter than the back, but no one could tell because I couldn't stand up.

"Thank you," I choked out. It was weird that he was saying this to me. All night I watched all the girls in the ballroom get told that they were beautiful, except for me. However, here Kevin, a boy whom I've never talked to, was telling me this.

"You're welcome," He smiled.

Expecting that our conversation was done, I turned my attention back to the chocolate fountain, only to have Kevin tap my shoulder once more.

I faced him again. 

"I was actually wondering if you'd like to dance with me?" he asked, holding out a hand to me.

I stared at his outstretched hand as if it were a foreign object. Which, in my case, it was. No guy had ever asked me to dance for the obvious reason that I simply can't.

"Uh," I muttered. "I don't think I can."

A large smile wiped across his slender face. "Nonsense! Everyone can dance."

Without waiting for my response, he reached forward and took my hand, rolling me to the dance floor, where the country song was still playing. He found a decent size spot where my chair could fit and stopped to face me.

"Kevin, I don't think this is a good idea," I said as I looked around to the other couples.

"And why not?"

"Because my chair is taking up too much space. It's dangerous," I pointed out.

Kevin nodded slowly, as if he were taking this into consideration. "You're absolutely right."

Instead of wheeling me back to the snack table like I had thought, he did something that shocked me. He walked closer to me and bent over, wrapping his arms around my body so he could have a firm grasp.

And then he lifted me from my chair.

"What are you doing?" I asked, scared. I automatically wrapped my arms around his neck, making sure I wouldn't fall. "Put me back down!"

Kevin laughed into my ear. "You aren't going to fall if that's what you're afraid of. I've got you." he said as he reached around my leg and brought it up so I could wrap it around his hip. He did the same to the other.

He was right. He did have me and I actually felt safe in his arms. The strength in his body gave me the courage to relax. I leaned my head against his shoulder as he gently swayed his body to the song.

I couldn't believe I was finally getting the chance to dance at my senior prom, which was something that I was sure I was never going to get to do. And yet, here I was, wrapped up in a guys arms dancing at prom.

"Thank you," I whispered to Kevin.

"Don't thank me," He said gently. "Every girl deserves to dance at her senior prom."

I smiled to myself.

For the first time since the crash, I felt like a normal teenage girl. Tonight I wasn't Abby, That One Girl in the Wheelchair. Instead, I was just Abby, A Normal Girl Dancing at Prom.

With Kevin's kindness and compassion, I finally felt like I could do anything.

And that gives me hope.