Chapter 8: Broken

It was my first night in my condo, and as I sat on my couch watching TV, I thought about the past couple of months and all that had happened. Who knew that I'd buy not one, but two homes in that short amount of time? Or that I'd see a ghost, which I'd never even believed in before? Or that I'd almost cut my arm off and not be able to do hair for a couple of months? Or that I'd practically be possessed and forced to kill my friend? I sure didn't. But here I sit with my arm still in a cast as proof.

I looked down at the graffiti that everyone had tagged my cast with and couldn't help but smile. They all thought it'd be funny to not only sign their name, but to draw a picture to represent each of them. Chad had drawn a little ghost, which I didn't think was too funny, but then again, he was a ghost hunter. And seeing as how he worked in a factory that made motorcycle parts, I figured that the ghost would be more fitting. Kim drew a dog, since she worked at an animal hospital, and Eric . . . well, let's just say I had to make him change his. 

"I can't walk around in public with that on my cast," I had fussed. 

"Okay, okay," he said as he colored in his picture and ended up making it look like a color bottle was squirting color out of it. "Is this better, Miss Prim and Proper?"

"Much."

Jenn had drawn a house, of course, with a sold sign on it. She had been surprised when I wanted to sell my house so quickly after moving in, but when I told her about the inhabitants that were there before me, she understood. "I wouldn't want to live there, either," she admitted. "But the bad thing is, you might have to get another Realtor to sell it."

"Why?"

"Because I can't sell your house knowing that it is haunted. Well, I could sell it, but I would have to disclose the fact that it's haunted to potential buyers, which might make it tough to sell. And when you get another Realtor to sell it, don't tell them. You need to keep that little secret to yourself." And I did.

I had stayed with Chad until I found another place to live, which only took a few weeks. Jenn convinced me to take a look at a condo, which I hadn't planned on doing, and I ended up falling in love with it. I had liked the security and convenience of Chad's, which mine also had, and I liked the fact that I wouldn't have to maintain a yard and landscaping, or make Kim and Eric help me, so it ended up being a good option. I actually sold my house for more than I originally paid for it, so I had some extra money to pay down, letting me get the condo that I wanted, which was by the lake. I think Chad was even jealous.

"You can come stay with me," I teased him, "and sleep on my couch."

"Is it bloody? If not, I think I'll stick to mine." They had gotten my blood off of his, but it did stain it slightly, but only enough for us to notice.

When my house sold, I was elated to be rid of it. The medium and pastor went and cleansed it before I put it on the market, but I don't know if it worked or not; I never stepped foot back in the house since the day that I thought I'd killed Chad. I could still see his bashed in face sometimes and it still turned my stomach. I hope that over time, like all memories, it would fade. But even faded memories have a way of sneaking back into your life when you least expect it.

I did drive by my house—my old house—watching the new family move in. As I pulled around the cul-de-sac, I missed my home. Not actually my home, but the feeling I had when I'd first bought it. I slowly turned around, watching them with the same excitement on their faces that I'd probably had on mine. It looked to be a husband and wife; no kids, thank goodness. I caught myself looking toward my old bedroom, but there weren't any curtains up yet that might be pulled back, so I drove off, never driving down that street again.