Chaper 4: Game On

Chapter 4: Game On

“Ugh, why does your school even make people read over the summer, that’s just cruel,” I half asked, half commented as me and Derek arrived at the library.

He laughed as we stepped in and a lady immediately hushed him, and I had to cover my mouth to keep a laugh from slipping out.

“I don’t understand it either, but that’s what we’ve gotta do,” he said as I found an empty table, with three chairs at it.

I sat down and he sat across from me and I asked “So what are the books we have to read anyway?”

“Well, one of them is ‘Like Water For Chocolate’ by Laura Esquivel, and the other is ‘Romeo and Juliet’ by shakespeare,” he answered and I almost sighed in relief.

I was relieved because I had already read Romeo and Juliet during my junior year, last year and I still remember what happened.

Well vaguely remember but still.

“Yes, I already read that, so Like Water For Chocolate it is” I said, and walked over to an old-ish lady who looked like she worked here, because she seemed to be organizing books on a shelf.

“Excuse me miss, do you work here?” I asked politely, in a quiet tone.

“Yes I do, what can I help you with sweetie?”

“I was wondering if you could help me find this book that I really need for school?” I asked, making my voice sound questioning at the end of the sentence.

“Of course, what’s the book called?”

“Like Water For Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel.”

She walked over to the checkout desk, and went to the computer behind it, typing in some things, I’m assuming she’s searching for my book.

I felt someone beside me and saw that Derek was standing next to me, on the opposite side of the lady’s desk. His hand brushed the small of my back, as if he was thinking of leaving it there, but then thought better of it.

Weird, I thought.

The lady frowned at me and said “I’m sorry, we don’t have any copies of that book in stock, but I can put the book on hold for you and it’ll be here within a week.”

I suppressed my groan. I don’t have a week.

“It’s fine, I’ll just buy it at a book store,” I said, giving the lady a fake smile because she seemed too nice to take my frustration out on.

I walked out with Derek, and asked him “Where’s the nearest book store?”

“I’ll take you there, it’s about five blocks away from here.”

I nodded and walked alongside him, and looked at my iPhone and saw that the time was now 1:25. It’s still early, I still have time.

We arrived at the bookstore in five minutes because we were speed walking.

I walked straight to the lady at the checkout counter and asked her “Do you happen to have the book Like Water For Chocolate by Laura Esquivel in stock?”

She typed something into the computer like the lady at the library did.

And just like the lady at the library did, she gave me a frown and said “Sorry, we don’t have it in stock, we could order it for you and you can pick it up if you want.”

I shook my head with a polite “No thank you” and left.

Derek was watching me with what looked like amusement as I was practically ripping my hair out with frustration.