Thanks / Les Meurtières by Damien Saez

Hi there,

I'd just like to thank you all for reading this short-story despite the sad-ending warning and I apologize for the sadness and tears it may have brought for some you (some were good at pretending they had dust in their eyes...). I have to admit that I myself shed a few (a lot of) tears as I wrote it.

And once again, thanks to my favorite New Yorker for all the details, insightful ideas and everything :) Thank you, Perfect!

***

Damien Saez is a French artist for whom I have clearly had a passion ever since his first album in 1999. His initial universe is French rock, and some of his albums are a bit noisy and quite vulgar, but the latest ones are a bit softer. In any case, his lyrics are always beautiful; they all hold a story and a lot of truths, and even if I don't always agree with his opinions, I sincerely appreciate the way he exposes his view and criticism on today's society. The way he writes is also beautiful and, being very fond of the French language, he has a way with words that could make him pass off as a poet in many of his songs. By the way, he even turned one of French poet Baudelaire into a very beautiful (and incestally sexual) song.

Les Meurtrières is one of his most beautiful songs. As you may have guessed from the story I adapted, it tells the story of a man who lost the love of his life as she moved to New York around a September 11th. The entire song is based on a parallel between the twin towers (tower being a feminine word in French) and the fact that they killed a lot of people, and the women in general; those who have hurt him throughout his life (he is kind of a tortured soul and a lot of his songs are very dark).

Anyway, this song is one that touches me very deep, and I couldn't resist trying to make a short-story of it. Of course, it doesn't exactly stick to the song, but the basic idea is here and it ends as sadly as the song. All the chapter titles are verses of the song and if you feel like listening to it, here's the link on Dailymotion (you won't find it on Youtube except in live versions).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xtqt64_les-meurtrieres-saez-messine_music

One last thing, on this same album, there is another song called A Nos Amours. Melodically speaking, it is even more beautiful than this one. And it may have planted some seeds for a second short-story, in Benjamin's POV this time. But this is not for now. Now is the time to return to the Black Moon series!

Thanks again for reading, and I'm sending you my love from Paris!