Chapter Seven

Hans sat on a padded armchair next to the bed where the still-bodied Ellen lay, the stab wound from the wretched doctor a dark brown. The iron in the blood had oxidised. His head was in his hands and his long silver hair fell to the floor. His face was contorted in frustration, or was it guilt? He couldn't distinguish the two, nor could he even bare to take a single glance at her. Whatever the feeling was, it was eating away at his body for leaving her alone. If she wasn't alone, if he hadn't turned his back, this wouldn't have happened. He would have been there to protect her from the Necromancers.

In his haste to leave the compound and put distance between them and the twisted Lucien, the first destination he could think of to vanish to was the inner-rooms of the Grand Committee manor. Although he had resigned as the Grand Master a good time ago, he still held a high rank, enough authority and prestige to be classified as a senior member and gain access to all the rooms within the building. At times of duress, the manor also proved to be one of the safest places, stripping Necromancers from all their power and allowing Tempusmancers to keep theirs. It provided an advantage that Necromancers knew all too well and kept them away from attacking within the constraints of the manor.

On his arrival and after describing the events that had unfolded, the Grand Committee had ushered them into one of the private healing rooms; rooms that were positioned close to the nurse's quarters and that were tended to on a routine basis. An aged Tempusmancer was already waiting for them when they had arrived, an expert in wounds inflicted by Necromancers and their weapons. She took a look at the wound and determined that the blade the doctor had used wasn't made of any special materials which would require intensive aftercare. She did however, give an ultimatum to Hans about saving the girls life – he would either have to finish converting her so she had full powers or let her be human and she would succumb to the wounds. When she had delivered this news, she squeezed Hans on the shoulder, solemnly, and left the pair alone so he could deliberate. Now, he sat in the armchair weighing up his options.

The healing room they were in was a comfortable environment, much like what he needed. Its drapes of cream, its off-white walls, and plush carpeting allowed him to relax and feel like he was at home whilst he continued to be construed in thought. A light, summery scent was periodically sprayed into the room, giving the light room a natural feel. Two large, padded armchairs were placed beside the bed, there in anticipation for a greater number of guests. It was in one of them where he sat now. He worked hard to slow his rapid thoughts, trying to make sense of them all. He was at a loss of what to do; what the right decision was. It added to the frustration he was now feeling.

Only a short time ago, Ellen had refused the conversion and the Grand Committee was put on alert to revoke any remaining powers she had left. She didn't want to be subjected to the fights, to the deaths and danger that came with being a Tempusmancer. Inevitably, he did partly bring her amidst it. Almost instantly, he sensed that she regretted this decision and that was when the Necromancers made their move. They preyed on her at her most vulnerable, and betrayed her trust. Now, she was lying next to him, bordering death and her pulse weakening every minute that went by. If she was converted, she would be finding herself in the middle of what she was trying to avoid. If he didn't do anything, she would lose her life but she wouldn't be able to fall back within Lucien's grasp and the Necromancers would have to wait another century to seek greater power.

Hans glanced back at the blonde haired girl, his face turned into a frown, and mentally called for the Grand Master. He had to get an opinion on this; it had the potential to later impact the entire race and he wanted to make sure he was making the right choice. He saw the door to the room open silently from the corner of his eyes within a minute and then it closed.