Chapter 8

Jane gasped and nearly dropped dead. Was Robert really asking her  to ditch class and hang out with him? It was almost too good to be true.

"Uh, what?" Jane asked, trying to keep her breathing steady.

Robert smiled and rolled his eyes.

"I was gonna leave school early and drive around. I always like having company. You mind?" Robert finished, winking at Jane and almost making her swoon.

Jane didn't want to sound to desperate, although she would never in her right mind object to ditching school and spending time with the possibly most sweetest, handsome, caring, and funny boy in the school. However, Jane's mind reeled. Out of all the pretty and smart girls in the school, Robert was asking her. And to top all of that, Jane was considered a black! A smiled teased at her lips as she looked up into his blue orbs.

"But why me? I'm just plain ole' Jane Wright." 

Robert's eyes widened as he took in Jane's statement, he took a step even closer to her, making her inhale his sweet scent deeply. His hand reached over and stroked her ruby red cheek gently. Jane shyly looked around to find the long halls empty, except for a few lingering students who gave the two strange looks before speeding away as the bell rang loudly. 

"Jane, you're anything but plain. If you come with me, I'd be able to show you exactly what you're worth." Robert smirked and dropped his hand to Jane's, interlacing their fingers together, "And besides, you're already late now. What harm will it do?" 

Jane was frozen in shock. Did Robert just caress her cheek and grab her hand as if he was scared to loose her. Yes and yes, Jane thought. Robert was being genuine about what he was saying. Like he'd told her before, Robert doesn't like to play with girls hearts.

Jane nodded, smiling widely. "Let's go." She said simply.

Robert grinned and pulled her by the hand, leading them both out of the door and towards the parking lot. Once out of the school, Jane finally felt like she could breathe. Being in the school, with the opinions and judgments of kids was suffocating at times. Jane always wanted to just get away, and doing it with Robert was something she couldn't pass up.

"Which one is yours?" Jane asked, excitedly.

Robert pointed a long arm towards a brand-new looking, dark green Kurtis.

"Oh my lord! Is that the new Kurtis?" Jane asked, in complete awe as she ran up to the car.

Robert trailed behind Jane, his hand tucked in his pockets slyly. An amused smile crossed his face as he smirked at Jane.

"Why yes, but how did you know that?" He asked, leaning on the door of the car.

Jane smiled, looking down at her feet and went over to lean on the door besides Robert. 

"I dunno. I always loved cars. Me an' my daddy would go to car shows all the time an' I guess it just stuck with me. How'd you get your hans on one of these anyways?" Jane asked, running her hands over the smooth exterior.

"My father got a job town at the dealership. We get sweet deals on most of them nice cars." 

Jane nodded, smiling and looking up at Robert.

"There's another reason why you ain't plain. I don't know any other girl at this school that would've even noticed that this was a new car, let alone the brand." Robert grinned and stood up straight, he walked over to the door and help it open for Jane. "I guess we'd better get going then?" 

Jane blushed as she got in the car and nearly exploded with happiness as Robert hopped in and started the car. Was she really doing this or was it a dream? She pinched herself just in case.