Chapter 28 ~ Reconnaissance

Hey Guys,

Really short chapter sorry. I know it's been a long long wait. I've had some things going on this last year and I lost interest in writing and everything to do with it for a while. Hopefully, I can get the last few chapters of TDD up for you over the next few weeks. I'll do my best.

Chapter 28 ~ Razakiel

The feel of her pressed tightly against my chest is almost too good to be true. Abby safe in my arms once again. I don't have it in me to let her go and all I can do is bury my nose in her hair and breathe her in. Relief doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

The harsh grind of someone clearing their throat reminds me that we have an audience but I don't have it in me to let her go and its not until she pulls away that I loosen my grip on her; just enough for her to lean back and see the others watching with relieved smiles.

"Gabby?" Abby queries glancing back up at me as she notices my mother watching us from beside Milli, "And where are Isa and Carita?"

"Hello Abbegael. How are you feeling?" Gabby asks a gentle smile on her lips as she watches Abby with concern.

"I'm..." She tenses against me and her fear grates heavily amongst the elated emotions coming from the rest of us.

"Isa and Carita are still up top," I cut in, gently rubbing her back before leaning down to kiss her forehead, her fear settles and a smile lifts her lips as her eyes silently thank me, "Carita wanted to see if he could find the rest of their family and convince them to help us fight. He thinks at least a few of The Seven will have joined Lucifer by now. So a few more Nephilim on our side could help us if it's going to come to a battle."

"I have a couple of angels waiting on Earth for them. Isa will signal us and the angels will signal the remainder of my army. So we will need to be prepared. The moment they return will be the moment we attack."

"How are we going to attack? None of us have been down here long enough to have any idea how to get around or where the best place for an ambush or a fight would be. There's no way we can win down here." Abby questions, her mind racing through all of the things that could go wrong if Lucifer has the advantage.

"As far as we're aware, the battle will not happen in Hell. Ahriel has had a glimpse of what is to come and the slaughter takes place on Earth, though we are yet to establish exactly where." Gabby explains a spark of something akin to anticipation, maybe even excitement, brightening her eyes.

"But Lucifer can't leave Hell. How do we defeat him if he won't even be up there?"

"He has been gathering his Demons and the Fallen together in one of the larger caverns. That's why it's so quiet around here; once he caught you most of the torture stopped. You were the key to starting everything. He's been sending demons up to Earth in small groups as far as Milli can tell. Once we find where they are the Angels will attack them. Lucifer will have to send the rest to protect himself. That will leave him and hopefully only a very small number of demons down here for you and Razakiel to destroy. Milli will remain with you to hide your approach of course, and if Isa and Carita make it back they will also be part of the team. Carita can provide the two of you with extra power should you require it."

"How do we find where the demons are gathering on Earth?" Abby glances between Gabby and Milli whose eyes meet momentarily before returning to us.

"Milli has been keeping an eye on Lucifer and the demons. That's how we know what we do thus far. But she is unable to follow them out as she cannot track their minds and Zak has been focused on retrieving you. Now that you are back safe and sound we need to continue investigating to find out where we need to attack." Gabby's tone is firm and commanding as she moves into planning our next move and General in her steps to the forefront.

"I'll go with you Milli." Abby steps forward leaving only empty space between my arms, the stubborn set of her shoulders and slight tremble in her hands gives her away even if the desperate need to prove she was okay wasn't emanating from her as clearly as smoke from a fire.

"You can't, Abs." I murmur, causing the clenching of her hands into challenging fists.

"I am perfectly fine! I got away from Lucifer's minions, I think I can handle a little bit of reconnaissance!"

"I'm not questioning your capability Abby. But you aren't a Reader unless I'm with you. I have to go. You need to stay here with Gabby."

"We can both go then. I can't just sit around here waiting for the two of you to come back or for us to be stumbled upon by demons."

"You cannot both go together. If Lucifer intercepts the mission, he absolutely cannot have both of you. Losing one of you would be bad enough but if he gets the two of you together we won't stand a chance."

"So it's okay if Zak is captured and tortured like I just was?" A higher pitch creeps into her voice as the image of me in her place blares full force in her mind.

"No, Abby. Of course not," I murmur, aching to have her back in my arms, "We won't get caught. I promise. But it is safer if we aren't together. You can keep the link open and follow everything we do though." Her endless blue eyes lock on mine begging for that promise to be kept, "And Gabriael has a similar sort of Talent to Milli so no one other than Milli or I will find you."

"Okay. I will remain behind. But I will be following every step you take and if there is any hint of danger you get out of there. You can always return if we need more information. But the moment its dangerous you both come back here. Okay?" The stubborn set of her jaw and crossed arms advise me not to tease her for worrying about my safety and instead I give her a soft smile and agree to her terms.

Vote/Comment/Or not... love to hear from you. Thank you to everyone who is still reading this despite my lack of updates. I shall attempt to do better from now on

~ Ellie