Chapter 22 - Friends or Foes

Start from the beginning

A weak round of "hear hear" went up around the room, but John couldn't bring himself to care. His connections around Milton, many of which were mutually necessary and beneficial, meant no one would dare insult his bride again without risking his own censure. It was John's deepest hope that the night's revelation would clear the way for Margaret, and thus, his own.

-----

John's words struck Margaret, leaving her somewhat embarrassed and speechless – a rare combination for her. She knew his words were well-meant and purposeful, but she couldn't help wishing them unnecessary. In fact, it somewhat dampened her excitement for the evening.

Dinner seemed to go well with far less hostility than the last one she attended at the Thorntons'. Conversation was plentiful, the food rich, and the company much more friendly even it if was somewhat forced. In the end, Margaret found little to complain about other than a mild headache that continued to grow worse by the second.

Once dinner was finished, more socializing was thrust upon her. She did her best to maintain a pleasant façade and stimulating conversation as she mingled with the guests, but she felt herself quickly fading as the night progressed. Margaret's emotions had been so stirred since she woke up that morning, and the drama that had unfolded upon her entry had pushed her to the precipice of exhaustion.

Making her way over to a settee in a quiet corner, she took a few moments to regain some semblance of calm and contentment as she looked about the room, knowing she would need them to make it through the rest of the evening. Her solitude was cut short, much to her dismay, when Miss Latimer approached and sat down next to her. Margaret tried to offer a welcoming smile but felt it more likely she failed at the attempt.

"I noticed, Miss Hale, that you are looking quite pale, and I took the liberty of bringing you some refreshment." Offering the glass, Miss Latimer continued. "It will help you regain some of your color, I am sure."

"Thank you," breathed out Margaret. "If you think it will revive me, I will gladly take your advice."

Before Margaret moved to do just that, the lady said, "I must offer you my congratulations on your engagement. Mr. Thornton is quite the catch for you, my dear."

Margaret wasn't sure if the flaxen-haired woman meant the statement as a compliment or insult but decided she would take it in the spirit she most wished it. Margaret could, after all, afford to have more friends in Milton if she was to live there permanently.

"Thank you, you are most kind. Indeed, John has been most wonderful to me and my family, and I expect to be most content as his wife."

Margaret raised the glass to her lips, ready to take a sip. Before the liquid could even wet her lips, however, she heard a familiar voice beg her to stop. Lowering the glass hesitantly, she found herself looking up at Mr. Bell. His expression was a perplexing combination of panicked and relieved, and she found herself most uneasy.

"Mr. Bell, whatever is the matter?"

Before he could answer, Miss Latimer interjected. "I believe I will leave you now, Miss Hale."

She rose from the settee and curtseyed to Mr. Bell.

It was with surprise, and not a little shock, when the police inspector approached from behind Mr. Bell and reached out to grasp the lady's upper arm as she began to walk away. Once again, the room quieted with the scene playing out before them.

"Unhand me at once, sir," hissed Miss Latimer.

"I'm afraid I cannot, miss. You will come with me," Mason replied as he nodded to Margaret, Mr. Bell following sedately behind. Before they exited the room, Mr. Bell took John aside and spoke close to his ear.

The look of alarm that spread across John's face baffled her, deepening her headache more as he made his way toward her. Hoping the young lady was right, Margaret lifted the glass once again to drink, so eager was she to rid herself of whatever it was that ailed her.

"No!" bellowed John, sending Margaret's head up in a jerk that worsened the throbbing pain in her head and made her cringe. By now, she was sure the entire room was once again focused on her, sending a blush across her face. As he reached her, he yanked the glass from her fingers, sending some of the fluid over the edge of the glass.

Lowering himself down on one knee, he asked, "Did you drink any of this, Margaret?" In what appeared to be desperation, she was left more confused than ever.

"No, not yet."

Everything about him seemed to relax with the deep exhale of his breath. "Thank goodness."

"Why? It's just a drink, John."

"No, it is not, Margaret." John shook his head. "It was poisoned, my love."

**Whoa! Thoughts??? Was the buildup all you hoped for?

So, "Reputations" has surpassed 2000 reads, and I'm absolutely speechless! This has been such an exciting ride, and I can't wait to finish it for my readers who have remained so loyal! I've had so much fun reading and responding to your feedback. Keep it coming! See you next chapter!**