Girls vs. Boys (17) - Prom

Start from the beginning

If felt my heart plunge into my stomach. He just told her that he loved her. But... he asked me to the prom! I had known him for fourteen years! What... what about me?

"I want to go back out with you, Dallas," Trinity begged, grabbing onto his hands now. "I love you so much! I never should have believed Jesse Jacobsen when he said you did anything with Jordan! I'm so sorry for breaking up with you! I want you back!"

Dallas smiled, leaning forward and pressing his lips to the blonde girl's. I felt my heart shatter, and my breaths suddenly got jagged. No, this couldn't have been happening... I had been having such a great time!

"See you later, Jordy," Dallas nodded, hooking his arm around Trinity's.

I stared at him for a moment, trying to process what he had just said. Did he say he was going to see me later? Did that mean that he was leaving me there, at a school that I didn't even attend?

I didn't stop him from leaving with Trinity, because I honestly had no idea what I was supposed to say to him. He had just ditched me. He used me to get Trinity back... This was the person that I had been best friends with for fourteen years?

I looked around at all the older kids that I didn't know, and I took a step back toward the exit. It made me wish that Austin was a senior so he would have been there to help me, but the junior prom had been the night before. He had taken Emily, and she had told me how amazing it had been... I really thought I was going to have that experience, too.

I spun around, running out the door before I let any tears fall from my eyes. I wasn't about to cry in front of people that I didn't even know. But now I had no ride home, it was dark, and I had left my cell phone at home.

I walked away from the gym and through the campus, finally getting to the front before breaking down. I fell against a wall, sliding down with my back against it. I buried my face in my hands, sobbing so loud that I probably was screaming.

I heard the sound of rustling feet, causing me to snap my head up to see who was there. It was dark, but the lights from the parking lot gave me just enough to be able to see. I wiped at my eyes, my eyes widening when I saw the person standing above me.

"Emery?" Jesse asked, his own eyes wide as well.

"You really are following me," I grumbled, not having enough energy to yell at him.

Jesse didn't smirk, he didn't even crack a joke. All he did was continue to stare at me, completely confused and bewildered. I wiped at my eyes again, not even caring if I messed up the makeup the girls spent hours working on.

"What happened?" Jesse now asked, and I sniffed to stop tears from falling. "Emery? What did Dallas do?"

"It's your fault!" I shouted, tears now continuing to stream down my face as I jumped up from my spot on the ground. I didn't even care if he saw me cry. "It's all your fault that this happened! It's all your fault!"

"Whoa, Emery," he tried, raising his hands and taking a step back away from me. "What the hell happened?"

"Dallas used me," I spat, the words burning my tongue. "He asked me to this stupid prom just so Trinity would see us and get jealous! I spent hours getting ready, trying to look perfect for him, and he just throws it all away and ditches me for his ex-girlfriend! That was what he wanted all along! That was all that he wanted! He never liked me, he just saw me as a way to get back together with Trinity! If it wasn't for you, Trinity never would have broken up with him and Dallas wouldn't have ever used me!"

I collapsed onto my knees, sobbing so hard that my chest hurt. I could hear the music that was yards away blaring from the gym, but my sobs seemed to drown them out. I didn't think I would ever stop crying.