Invitations

It was Santiago.

He was slightly concerned, "Are you alright?"

I wiped my tears and got up sheepishly, "Oh, I didn't know anyone was here."

He nodded, "Eric's at his fathers house in Florida, he'll be back later tonight."

He must be sharing the news with his father.

"What are you doing here?" I inquired as my vision began to clear.

"I'm working." He said dryly as he turned around, and walked into the kitchen.

I hooked the duffle bag over my shoulder and trailed behind him, "Why here? Don't you have a house?"

He shot me a menacing look and argued, "Don't you?"

"This is technically my house." I folded my arms.

He began to pace towards me with mad eyes, "I'm too busy cleaning up Eric's messes because you get in the way of everything! None of this would've happened if it wasn't for you to be so needy for him all the time!"

I scoffed, "What are you talking about? Absolutely nothing is happening."

His fists were tightly locked, "That's because Eric has me glued onto my laptop, making sure nothing happens to you! I'm sick and tired of it! You're so irresponsible with your pathetic, stupid life!"

His face twitched and slammed his fist on the tabletop and murmured to himself, "I liked it so much better without you here. No babysitting."

There had been something else in his words, something I was afraid to even question. My lip quivered as I whispered out to him, unsurely. "Do you. . . Are you into Eric like that?"

The question completely stunned him, his eyes nearly spilled out his sockets from the shock. Then he laughed in anger, "Are you fucking joking?" He gritted his teeth, and lunged out at me, shoving me with so much force, it made me tumble on the marble floor. "What kind of question is that? Do I like a Eric? Dear God, right before I thought you couldn't get any more goddamn irrational!"

My heart felt so heavy in my ribs. I bit my trembling lip, scrambled on my feet and spun on my heel, making my way towards the staircase.

I climbed up and hasted into our room. I kicked my bag away in frustration and balled up in bed.

The pain was so deep, so agonizing, so intense. My heart was mangled beyond recognition. My mind numb, racing in circles, unable to make sense of what was happening.

I buried my face within the pillows and threw the covers over me.

All noises died out and I could just hear my panting slowly return to normal.

The bedroom door creaked open, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that."

"Get out." I snarled.

Just when I thought he was gone, he spoke again.

"I'll be downstairs." He added.

*

I was determined to stay in the room and ignore Santiago's presence completely.

Eventually, I began to get hungry but my grudge was definitely still intact.

Getting up from the bed recharged, I started to ache from the potential bruises Santiago gave me.