Chapter 6

Garrett used my hoodie to tie around his waist. I refused to walk with him naked.

His pack was very close, only around a ten minute stroll. We came across some Rogues on the way but they seem to have a lot of respect for the neighbourhood Alpha and left us alone when they saw us. I'm sure this wouldn't be the case if Garrett wasn't with me.

His pack was big, reminded me of my own but Daniel's still had more acres. On the other hand, he seemed to have less people living there which made it seem even more big and empty, whilst the Jackson pack had a little less land but more houses, more people - not that I saw much of them anyway since everyone was sleeping at two-thirty in the morning. It made me wonder why Garrett wasn't.

He leads me to the pack house and shows me to the living room. There was a lit fireplace which brought warmth through the entire room. It felt like my only source of security and the delicate blankets I was now wrapped in as I rested on the big sofa, felt like a perfect representation of my fragile, emotional state. I was scared and stressed. I didn't know why Garrett was being so kind to me and I didn't trust him completely either.

He came in after a couple of minutes after changing into some clothes - finally - and he sat down next to me.

"Are you tired?"

I shake my head. I think all the emotions and stress just kept me up awake.

"How about you give me your name?"

"Holly." I lie, not wanting to share any information that was personal. "How old are you?" I ask him, curious. I wanted to change the subject as soon as possible.

"I'm twenty-six. And you?" He asks me, looking happy that I gave him a chance to ask.

"Just turned eighteen." I answer him.

He looks slightly tense, not completely comfortable around me after realising I'm quite a bit younger than him. His eyes try to find information he wants to know so badly, something about my life clearly intrigued him.

"That's very young. How old is your mate?" He brings Daniel up.

I frown at him and turn away. I didn't want to talk about Daniel. I wanted to get him out of my messed up mind once and for all but everything kept reminding me of his existence. Did I really have to live a life like this? A life where everything brings back pain because it all relates to mates.

I should have rejected him right away, when I had the chance.

Surely it would bring a lot of indescribable pain to the both of us, but we would get over it. Wouldn't we?

"What makes you think I even have one?" Daniel was twenty years old. I think back to the times I heard people talk about how young he was to be so murderous and ruined already.

"Why don't you want to talk about him?" Inquires Garrett. "Are you running from anyone? From him?"

"I'm tired." I lie.

"You said you weren't t-"

"I am now. I can sleep on this sofa, it's actually very comfortable and I like the fireplace." I try to get him to leave me alone in the nicest way possible.

"If you're sure you don't want a room, then that's fine by me. Food is in the kitchen. Good night." He smiles, leaving.

That was easy.

Tomorrow he would take me to my pack and everything will be okay.
Things will go back to normal.

I try desperately to fall into a peacefull sleep, to not have to think or feel anything; to just drift off from reality. But it doesn't happen for a long time.