Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen - Kassia

With the demise of the smaller demons, the bigger ones were coming out of the woods now. There were demon bulls and those giant beasts, like the one that had captured me. I rolled my eyes; they couldn’t have waited a few more minutes? I scanned the yard for Auralee; she was my only chance right now.

I spotted her staring at the demon bull with his big red eyes and steam like smoke coming out of his snout. Auralee! Her head shot up and she looked around until her eyes rested on me. Her jaw dropped. I need you to stop Zane. I don’t have time to explain right now. But it’s really me.

She nodded and ran to Zane’s side. As I focused on the bulls that were surrounding us, I could see Auralee struggling with Zane. The bulls were harder and took a few seconds longer, but down they went.

Zane saw the bulls die, and he let Auralee force his arm down to his side. He didn’t look away from me. I spun around where I stood, looking for any more immediate threats. I figured I had a minute, if that, to go to them.

I ran straight for Mira and threw my arms around her. Inhaling her sweet scent, I closed my eyes, and I was home. I pulled away a little bit and looked at her. She was still in some state of shock. “You’re dead…” she whispered.

“I was,” I said with tears streaming down my face.

She looked me right in the eyes like she was searching for something. I smiled, trying to comfort her. “It’s really you,” she breathed.

I nodded. “Yeah.”

Her knees buckled a little, and Zane caught her even though he was still clutching his dagger. She regained her balance and touched my face like she wasn’t sure if I’d disappear now. Tears filled her eyes, and she smiled back finally.

Vala and Ramsey approached quickly. “We don’t have time for explanations right now. We must go.”

“GO? Go where? You can’t leave!” Mira yelled.

“I need you and Auralee to come with me. It’s time to stop Kern,” I said firmly.

Before I turned to go, my eyes rested on Daxton, whose eyes were wide. I went to him quickly and pressed my lips against his. “I still love you,” I told him. Then I grabbed Mira and Auralee and hurried to catch up to Vala and Ramsey.

“Where is he?” I asked.

“Back there.” Vala pointed to an area heavily guarded by demons.

As we rounded the school, I noticed that this side of the school hadn’t fared as well. Demons were still attacking. I took a moment to find a good spot, focus on the demons, and kill them—hundreds at a time.

Once they were dead, I nodded to myself, satisfied. “It’s up to us to kill Kern,” I told Mira and Auralee. “Mira, I need you to compel him to put down whatever he’s holding. Auralee, I need you to read his mind. Signal to me by touching my shoulder when he’s at his weakest emotional and physical point.”

“Okay,” she said.

Coming up on more demons, Mira and Auralee positioned themselves to fight them. “Don’t worry about them.” In seconds, I had the first group dead.

“How did you…?” Mira stumbled on her words.

“Later,” I said, focusing on some more demons.

Ramsey pointed. “He’s up there. Remember what we taught you. We’ll take care of the remaining demons out here.”

The three of us slowly approached the woody area, killing demons as we went. Kern came into view quickly. Seeing him again sent the biggest shiver of all down my spine. I forgot how scary and evil he was. His dark eyes were wide. His mouth parted in surprise as his eyes settled on me. I smiled, knowing I had gotten the best of him even if just for a minute.